Newpics of mystery duck Sage, Admiral and friends.Feathers coming in!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sparrow, May 18, 2008.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    These are some new photos I took tonight. Sage's feathers are coming in now!! They appear to be orangey at the tip(wierd!) with really dark bases approximately the same color as the dark areas on her body in the photos. I ordered Cackle's catalog and looked through it. Sage still does not resemble any of the ducklings they show. I'd love to hear your opinions, now that her feathers are showing up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below are photos of Admiral with his new feathers coming in! **They are all a little goopy because they apparrently had a food&water paste making p arty. [​IMG] lol **You can see that they are a light grey-ish tannish color coming in around his back/wings with a section of darker colored ones coming in right underneath his wings. It's very odd. The ones on top of his body I think are consistent with F&W Runner color, but the wierd dark ones under the wings? Anyway, have a look and tell me what you think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are two bonus pics of my already identified ducklings. The Ancona's name is Cinnamon, the Khaki Campbell's is Truffle. They take adorable photos too! And, Truffle has a TON of adult feathers coming in!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    very, very, cute! I love the last picture when your trying to handle the duck. [​IMG]

3. Sparrow

Apr 11, 2008
    Thanks! hehe Hyperactive ducklings are a bit of a challenge to handle for a picture, but at least I know they're feeling good. [​IMG]

Also, Cinnamon the Ancona is going through a voice change just like the rest of them, but his(?) voice is becoming very quiet and whispery. The rest of them still sound like squeaky quacks. I remember reading something about loud/quiet voices indicating gender, but I can't remember what it was. Does anyone know?

4. fowlfriends

fowlfriends Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Battle Ground, Wa
    I'm still guessing Sage as a Harlequin, but whatever the breeds, they are all very cute - especially the Ancona!

Admiral could be Penciled, rather than Fawn and White. Did the hatchery have that color as a choice?

The boys have the quiet raspy voice, while the girls are loud quackers.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  5. Sparrow

Apr 11, 2008
    Thanks for the advice about duck voices! It looks to me like Cinnamon and Truffle are boys and Admiral and Sage are girls. I was kind of hoping Truffle would turn out to be a girl because KCampbells are such consistent layers, but I love them all too much to be dissapointed about it. lol

The more I look at Sage and compare her growing feathers to lots of p ictures, the more she does seem to look like a Welsh Harlequin. Thanks for the suggestion! Harlequins are beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by