News Flash: Gimpy Chick thinks owner is mom, masses laugh in hysteria!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chicken Fruit, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Gimpy chick is a little 5 week old blue cochin chick that was mercilessly attacked by my two welsummers, she grew a nice abcess/proud flesh knot on her head which a couple weeks later was again pecked until she bled to the point of death. I tried "gassing her" like so many on here have suggest when you need to cull a bird and are too chicken-poop to wring its neck or lop off its head. Some how, she managed to not only survive (she was literally motionless and too week to lift her body from blood loss, and then even weaker from the chamber of doom) but she's made such a strong come back that I think she's going to thrive.

She actually was really sour, always pecking and hated people, especially me... but now she's changed her mind. She even likes to climb up on my sons lap.

Gimpy Chick lives in a plastic tote under the kitchen window. Gimpy Chick FREAKS THE HECK OUT whenever she can see me and flails around like a little possessed thing until I let her out and she can busy herself with following my feet where ever they go. Gimpy Chick sits on my lap at the computer, and thinks my boobs are for roosting on when I watch tv in the evening. She's pretty certain that if she can get under me some how (if I stoop down to get something, or sit on my haunches while doing something) that I will broodily keep her warm and comfy like any good momma hen.

Gimpy is certain its her personal responsibility to "preen" my fingers, clothing, hair and jaw line. She also thinks that anything I snack on is her's too. And she has designated herself as my personal "kitchen floor vacuum".

Gimpy Chick is developing an identity crisis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Awww! [​IMG]

That's so sweet!

3. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I need a Gimpy chick vaccum.

4. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    All she needs is a chicken diaper and she can live out her life in the house!
    I'm so happy she is pulling through!

5. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    how awesome!!! what a sweetie!! [​IMG]

6. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    How cute [​IMG]
    What is it about those near death experiences that makes a chicken think they are now a household item? I have a Welsummer that I brought into the house for a bit to try to nurse through whatever was ailing her. She has recovered fine but is ALWAYS at the back door wanting to come back in or at least spend some time with her 'mama'. She loves nothing than to have some indoor time to roam around and eventually end up in the kitchen vacuuming up whatever crumbs the dogs have around their food dishes.
    Crazy chickens [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Isnt it something how a disaster can change a chicken's attitude toward its caregiver. The same happened to me with my faverolle roo. He was never very friendly, not mean, but wouldnt let me touch him. He got in a fuss with another roo and was hurt so I held and cleaned him. I gave him some extra attention and now he comes up to me when I go out in the yard. I can hold and pet him without him running from me. I hate them having to get hurt but the resulting attitude of the bird sure is nice.

8. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Quote:I have a welsummer pair, a cockrel and a little pullet. I HATE THEM! Good grief! i ordered them for their dark eggs... but i cant stand them...

Is it just mine or have you noticed that your welsummers are usually the least friendly of the bunch?

mine are the ones that actually pecked the little cochin nearly to death...

To everyone else... if you search "amosunknown" on youtube i have a video of her chasing me around the house... I have another of her trying to sit under me... but iam too embarrassed to post it... [​IMG]

9. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY5bohren9Y

theres
    a link to her little movie... lol.

Please nevermind the house.. We've been building chicken tractors all week and I havent done my house work like i should.

there has to be an excuse right? Or else we cant bear the embarrassment of a messy home... lol.

10. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    What a little sweetheart! watched her video, and she really thinks your the best thing since peanut butter!She is adorable!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by