News story: Fire destroys 500 animals

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kla37, Dec 15, 2010.

  1. kla37

    kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,163
    11
    173
    Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
  2. woodmort

    woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

    3,168
    33
    201
    Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yes--I was taken to task a week or so ago when I said "Good bye" to those who were going to use heaters in their coops that I predicted would be burned out before spring. This is a serious problem, one newbies to the care of chickens don't realize will happen until it is too late. Electricity plus heat 24/7 plus dust plus wood shavings/straw and feathers is a very combustible combination. It is too bad that it has to happen when, for the most part, it is not necessary.
     
  3. Mrs MIA

    Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

    7,988
    41
    303
    Mar 3, 2008
  4. annie3001

    annie3001 My Girls

    Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    so sad. [​IMG]
     
  5. S&N Livestock

    S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    It is sad and I feel sorry for those who go through this,, I lost a barn a year ago and several hundred birds...They wasnt sure if it was my brooders or one of the incubators because the fire was so hot..It was in my old milk house block walls over 2200 degrees they said like an oven inside...Was an awful feeling going to the barns for several months after the fire but have learned a hard leason on heat lamps because im pretty sure that was the cause of the fire...I had several good people help clean up and send some free stuff to help me rebuild what I had before...If you are going to use them be very careful...

    Hope Everyone has a Happy Holiday...

    From S&N Livestock and ThePoultryBarn
     
  6. rebelcowboysnb

    rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

    The use of heat is not the issue, its the unsafe use of heat.
     
  7. desertdarlene

    desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

    4,479
    62
    233
    Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh that's sad! Poor baby chicks and lambs.
     
  8. arabianequine

    arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:True, accidents happen but you have got to use common sense and it won't happen near as much....then it would be truly an accident.

    It is so sad....not the animals fault.
     
  9. PineappleMama

    PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

    Stories like that are precisely why I won't even consider it.

    Not that we get too many nights where we'd want to, but I wouldn't even try it on those nights.

    Especially since we're still getting Extreme Fire Risk Warnings down here... you'd think it was August or something.

    There's a small risk with leaving your birds be in a GOOD shelter, very small, but there's a lot larger risk in heating. All it takes is one person having a bad day, not feeling well, being distracted... at the factory and a faulty cord gets through.

    Chalk one more up to Piney's Paranoia (yes it deserves it's own capital) but there it is.
     
  10. WoodlandWoman

    WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

    5,719
    43
    283
    May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It said he thought a chicken may have knocked over a heat lamp. Sounds like another person that just clipped a lamp somewhere, instead of chaining it securely. That's why so many people on the forum harp about securing your heat lamps and explain over and over again how to do it. Poorly secured heat lamps are the main cause of heat lamp related fires. I get the whole thing about telling people that their chickens don't need heat in winter. I would still like people to stop burning down their houses and barns with heat lamps, while they are brooding. That happens, too.

    Like driving a gasoline filled car, driving any car at high speeds or owning a furnace, use your heat lamps safely, when you do use them.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by