1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*newsflash* Kids will eat Non-Uber Sweet Cereal?!!?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PineappleMama, Dec 17, 2010.

1. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/parenting/parents-dont-be-conned-sugary-kids-cereals

No way!??! REALLY?!?! Kids will eat cereal that isn't pure sugar. *gasp*

I can't believe it! *faints*

[​IMG]

Seriously, adults needed this in writing? DD loves bran flakes, both kiddos love granola, esp with some yogurt. Bonus points if there are some berries or banana handy YUM! Of course, they also like spinach, broccoli and asparagus... and WILL eat brussels, but they don't like 'em. But if they want dessert (like that granola and yogurt or a cookie) then they better.

It's called parenting... these people should really give it a try.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That is too funny. We rarely let Robert have sweet stuff. Dessert is fruit and if we are having something different, he can have a TINY bit of it. I raised my own son like that and he never salts his food, prefers mustard, and rarely eats sweets.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Its all in how you start them out..

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    All cereal is sugar whether it has added sugar or not. Carbs = sugar. Every 50 grams of carbs is the equivalent of 1/4 cup of sugar. Wheat, corn, soy, rice, oats...treated at high temps and extruded at high pressure. It's practically prechewed so your body converts it to sugar in a heartbeat. It has to be fortified because it is so nutritionally empty in the first place.

"Researchers at Ann Arbor University were given 18 laboratory rats. They were divided into three groups: one group received corn flakes and water; a second group was given the cardboard box that the corn flakes came in and water; the control group received rat chow and water. The rats in the control group remained in good health throughout the experiment. The rats eating the box became lethargic and eventually died of malnutrition. But the rats receiving the corn flakes and water died before the rats that were eating the box! (The last corn flake rat died the day the first box rat died.) But before death, the corn flake rats developed schizophrenic behavior, threw fits, bit each other and finally went into convulsions. The startling conclusion of this study is that there was more nourishment in the box than there was in the corn flakes."
    http://editor.nourishedmagazine.com.au/articles/puffed-grains-should-we-eat-them

Cereal is garbage. I used to live on no sugar added cereal. Raisin bran, Bran Flakes, etc... I also used to weight about 300 lbs.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My children didn't know what boxed cereal or even candy was until they were well past 5 years old. They never did develop a taste for sweets.

I agree. It's called parenting.

6. PineappleMama

Oh mine have a taste for it, won't say otherwise.

But they also know that WHEN we have dessert it'll be 1, maybe 2, cookies... not 5 and certainly not cookies (same as half the cereals IMO) as the whole meal!

The person writing this, or the parents that it's written for, seem to think that if they don't serve Fruit Loops then the kid just won't eat at all and that is FAR worse that the itsy bitsy amount of sugar....

Me, I think it's better for them to not eat at all and be hungry for a healthy lunch... and know better the next day.

But that's me. I was raised in a "If you don't eat that liver now you'll be eating it for breakfast" kind of household.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Our GS is 4 1/2 y.o. I think he eats a total of maybe 3 foods (not exaggerating). Mama doesn't want him to go to bed hungry. This is the same child that has yet to have a good ol' fashioned wearing out of his tailend, cuz Mama doesn't want to "hurt his feelings".

8. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    The kids at my daughter's elementary school are fed a breakfast which consists of Fruit Loops or Pop-Tarts -- no joke! They just started this universal breakfast program right after Thanksgiving. Needless to say, my child does not participate! Many of the kids eat at home and then eat the garbage at school. My daughter does not need to eat breakfast twice -- and schools now complain about overweight children! Before, the breakfast program was directed at underprivileged children (free program) and those who chose to pay and eat at school -- it has always been junk food. I am glad that the underprivileged are given something to eat, but why can't it be healthy?
    I was just put off by the fact that it has been made universal -- free and available for everyone -- even though it is complete garbage. When the note came home -- I immediately contacted the food supervisor and researched the foods the kids would be served (I knew that she would not be eating the food, but don't necessarily have an issue with her having a milk. I do have to research where the milk comes from, though). I let the food supervisor and her teacher know that my child will not participate. Her teacher finds it amazing that one parent out of the whole class has any question/issue about the program -- she thinks more parents should be questioning it. She said many of the kids are, indeed, eating two breakfasts - one at home and one at school. Not trying to hijack the thread -- my rant just kinda fit in here. [​IMG]

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I've never eaten Chex before....and now I'm hooked. NO sugar added to it. Rice Krispies, forget that without sugar.

10. PineappleMama

^With you. Our kiddos got reduced lunch and breakfast and it was a LOT less expensive for us to let them eat there.

Breakfast is at 7:45... DD's lunch was at 11 in 1st (last year)... Son's however, being a 6th grader, wasn't until 1pm... and it was after P.E.

One day I was called because he collapsed in P.E.... after eating a muffin (Otis Spunky aren't they fancy) for breakfast... then nothing at all for five hours, then having to run a mile in P.E. his system just gave out... immediately got some food in him and he was better... of course that didn't help the Doc any... they ran an EKG and all was fine, but no point check sugars since he'd eaten... low blood sugar was the prognosis and should anything like it happen again to immediately check sugar...

Never left home without breakfast and never ate anything but a home packed lunch again. Now we're HSing so it's a moot point but that just scared 20 years off of me.... he has never had so much as a dizzy spell since then... I've made sure of it with a healthy menu.

Sorry, that's sort of a pet peeve... that and 6th grade just got whatever was left after all the other grades ate. If there wasn't enough of what was supposed to be served they'd throw together whatever they could find in the fridge for them. Many a day I saw these kids NOT EAT because what was served was just gross... they'd rather wait than eat that... rather starve from 8ish to 3:30-4pm than eat that... you KNOW it's bad.

Of course then there were the ones who went back for seconds... already weighed 300lbs but NEEDED another full meal... this 'privilege' was only for 6th graders... I doubt it had much to do with nutrition but more to do with the workers not having to throw as much food away...

And the menu... after DS's episode I took that menu and actually LOOKED at it... did up a thing showing At Best... if they ate everything on their plate... what they'd be getting... it wasn't pretty. You'd think, at the least, that the school would use that food pyramid they display everywhere, teach everywhere, harp on massively... at least a little bit when planning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by