Newspaper and bedding!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cochinbantam-lover, May 4, 2009.

1. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    When you first get your chicks I read that you can put down newspaper with paper towels on top so they don't slip and cause foot and leg problems down the road. My question is how long should I use the newspaper and when can I use the corncob bedding? The shavings look so nice but I would be concerned that they would eat them and get sick.
    My chicks are going to be in my spare bedroom and the temps are warm already so all that much bedding won't be necessary for warmth but I guess it is needed anyway for the other stuff! :)Thoughts please!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMO, once they learn where their food is there's no reason they can't be on pine shavings.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I only leave mine on puppy training pads for 3 days; then I move them to pine shavings (they will not eat them). I prefer the shavings because they are nice & soft for them. Lots of folks do use the pelleted bedding, though.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Best bedding I`ve ever used is cheap hay. Strengthens legs and is easy to clean up......Pop

5. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    i did paper towels that were shredded/cut up into small pieces for the week or so, then mixed in pine shavings/paper towel pieces for about a week, and then went straight to pine shavings. The tasted a piece or two but never ingested any. They're safe to use. Don't use cedar shavings, however, as the oils they release into the air are harmful for small animals (chicks, rodents, etc). Newspapers are also dangerous as the inks can affect respiratory health as well.

I've heard many people start out with shavings and are fine!

6. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Thankyou to all who answered my question about the bedding, appreciate it!! [​IMG]

7. backpack09

backpack09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Whitman, MA
    I am using puppy pads till I run out.. then onto pine bedding.

only 25 puppy pads to go....

8. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:That is such a neat idea, I have a bunch left from when I got my Mini Schnauzer puppy, who no longer needs them!!! [​IMG] Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by