newspaper bedding?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by urban chicks, Oct 31, 2013.

1. urban chicks

urban chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    can i use newspaper bedding on the floor of my coop, will the chickens cratch the newspapers and make a big mess? is there a way to stop them from ripping the newspapers?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    no, chickens scratch newspaper is slippery and can lead to leg problems pine shaving is much better and helps with odor too. there is a lot of flooring choices but im not aware of newspaper as one except for newborns with the shavings under it so they dont eat too much of the shaving for the first day

3. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Also, the ink will rub off on the chickens just like it does on your fingers when you read the paper.

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I do not think it would be a good staple source of bedding personally for the reasons stated in previous post.

I think it might be alright if it were shredded and mixed in with pine shavings or in my case wood pellets in some proportion.

I would try a shredded mixture.
    What do you have to loose?

Worst case is I will never try that again is what I am thinking.

As far as chickens ripping the newspaper; an elevated false floor made of a wire grid 3½" above the newspaper to allow the poop through might be effective.

Bedding
    I have used all types of litter for coops.

I have not tried sand (sand gets good reviews on this site).
    My floor are planks with a layer of tin for rodent proofing. On top of the tin I have a piece of vinyl flooring cut one foot longer than the length and width of my coop (roughly). Six inches squares are cut out of the 4 corners of the vinyl flooring. This allows the friction fitted flooring to travel up the walls six inches around the perimeter of my 4x8 salvaged metal coop. Shovel out the heavy stuff into a wheel barrow. Pop out the vinyl flooring hose it off pop it back in.
    Easy Peasy!

Of all the things I tried to date wood pellets have been the best. (I tried wood pellets as a last resort when pine shavings were not available.) They are super absorbent and swell up and eventually turn to saw dust. The droppings just seem to vanish and turn to dust when it comes in contact with wood pellets .

Replace my litter and clean my coop every October after I harvest my garden.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    ooooh, i like this. can you tell me where i might find the tin and if it is expensive ? also do the mice come in from the run anyway?

6. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    If my chickens seen a mouse coming in from the run their would be a game of keep away starting and the mouse would be the prize. I would feel sorry for that mouse.

I have a door manufacturer in my area. When they build a door they use two sheets of steel as sheathing with a border of 2x2. Then they fill the cavity with foam. Some doors require windows. They cut out the windows and discard that piece of foam and the two panels of steel as garbage. That is where I come in. I use this to my advantage when salvaging and converting my 4x8 metal shed into a chicken coop.
    Also a discarded fridge, stove, deep freeze, are all a source of metal and insulation.

A skill saw with a fabric blade and you are in business. It will cut almost as easy as wood.

I have one buddy who plans to use discarded deep freezes and fridges to build a coop. It will be well insulated peck proof and he will canabilized fridge doors to build a human door and employ the shelving and racking for feed storage and the like. He is planing his work and getting ready to work his plan. He hopes to built himself a nice coop at minimum cost (he works as an appliance repair man).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have the saw and i do know of the blade you speak of, i am going on a treasure hunt. your buddys idea sounds awesome will he turn the fridge in and have the cavities as nesting boxes? or is he taking them all apart? a mr. ed door, i was planning on a split door myself. and is that deer in your garden? we have a lot here too in southern IN. thanks for the info

8. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Yes that deer is in my garden.
    Buddy keeps things all top secret on a drafting board. He mention a few ideas but to be honest I was not paying attention.
    I will wait until he got his project completed and see for myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by