Newspaper Eating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rachel25, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Rachel25

Rachel25 New Egg

Apr 3, 2009
    Texas
    Hi all, I am new to raising chickens and have a Rhode Island and Golden Seabright. They both love to tear up and shred newspaper but I noticed this morning that my Seabright tore off a small piece and ate it. I think I should remove all newspaper from their area but am wondering if this can hurt her?????

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi Rachel and welcome to BYC.
    Chickens eat alot of bizarre things. I have one that has eaten broken glass and soda can tabs.
    I would think the biggest worry with the newspaper would be if they ate enough of it to impact their crop.
    You say you use newspaper in their area? Are they in a coop or what? You might want to consider a switch to pine shavings.

3. Rachel25

Rachel25 New Egg

Apr 3, 2009
    Texas
    They live in a huge flight cage and have a huge crate which I turned into a home for them. I used the newspaper on the bottom of the crate and then have pine shavings on the top. They pull the newspaper out from under the shavings and tear it up. I think I should just use pine shavings alone. I didn't realize they eat all kinds of crazy things. I do know that they are very curious!

4. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    I scrambled some eggs for my birds, put them on paper plates, and told hubby to put them in their coops. They ate the eggs with gusto.

Then they proceeded to eat the paper plates.

Hubby had to 'scramble' to get the plates out.

Crazy chickens..... [​IMG]

Cheri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by