newspaper eating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofet, Jan 13, 2010.

1. momofet

momofet Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    i'm really new to the wonderful world of chickens and so i have a question...

i have 2, 6 week old browns (RIR/Leghorn) who really like to shred, then eat newspaper. is this common or normal, if not, will the eating of paper harm them?

thanks for your help![​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The rule of thumb with chickens is they will eat anything that doesn't run away from them.

But, seriously, try feeding them some scrambled eggs for more protein. I do this when my chicks seem to be eating stupid things....

3. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

And, it isn't the best bedding for chicks, the ink nor the slick paper. You run risks using newspaper such as straddle leg. Better to use something where they have more "traction" and can develop their strength and agility normally. When first hatched, they can be on clean paper towels but soon its time to switch to pine shavings or straw, or a combination of that. I have used shredded paper from offices in the past, but only the "long" shredded paper, never the small bits of paper that the birds would want to eat.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree w/Enola...chickens will sample just about anything. Rule of thumb: If it's something you don't want them to eat, they will find it and try to eat it.

5. momofet

momofet Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    thanks for all the advice. i'll try giving them the scrambled eggs and i'm sure they'll love it.

the chicks are outdoors during the day, running free range and are only in the cage at night and this is where i have it lined with newspaper. they just love to peck at it into shreds then eat it. my other chickens never did this and so i just thought it was very odd behavior.

i'll keep you posted. thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by