Newspaper for brooder floor

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eric23, Feb 22, 2011.

1. eric23

eric23 New Egg

Feb 22, 2011
    Although I am new, I have read here and on other sites over the last few days that newspaper should not be used as a brooder floor because it is too slippery. I got my chicks last Friday and have newspaper for the floor. The reason why I did this is because it was how I was taught to do it by my grandfather and he started flocks of chicks over the years this way. After reading the information online, I got a little nervous and went check the chicks. They all have perfectly straight legs and toes. I don't see a problem at all and they do not silde at all when walking on the newspaper. Anyone else use newspaper??
    Thanks

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I use paper towels for the first 3 days or so and then switch to shavings. I, too, have heard newspaper is bad so have never tried it.

3. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    By the way - [​IMG]

4. eric23

eric23 New Egg

Feb 22, 2011
    What is a good place to find shavings?

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] from GA

6. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    I'm not sure how big your brooder is and how many chicks you have but I get my pine shavings from walmart of one of the pet supply stores. I have four chicks in a 5 X 3 feet brooder. But I do an overhaul of switching out all the pine shavings at about 4 weeks as they make a lot of messes! I used newspaper under the pine shaving to try to keep the cardboard underneath it all in good shape but the chicks just scratch up the newspaper anyways. I have heard not to use cedar shavings on BYC but I'm not sure why. Hopefully someone will chime in and tell you to use a specific kind of wood for your shavings and why. Welcome to BYC!!

7. eric23

eric23 New Egg

Feb 22, 2011
    My brooder is 2x3 (soon to be enlarged). I saw some shavings at Wal-Mart last night but was hesitant because I didn't know what to buy. They had different kinds.....it was in the section for hamsters and other small animals.

8. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Any feed store or Tractor Supply has shavings, too. Just make sure they aren't ceder shavings.

9. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Cedar oil is harmful to chickens.
    Newspaper can be too slippery for chicks and can result in splayed legs.
    My TSC has a finer grade of pine shavings now (in yellow wrap). It still is coarse, but finer than their standard pine shavings.

Good luck and welcome [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  10. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I would avoid using newspaper "just in case" since it does tend to be slippery for some chicks.
    Shavings (pet bedding) can be purchased almost anywhere (grocery store, tractor supply or any feed store, and PetSmart or any pet store).
    Avoid cedar since the fumes from the oils can produce repertory issues.
    Also avoid sawdust since the chicks might consume it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by