Newspaper in brooder..??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by capebird, May 18, 2011.

1. capebird

capebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    I've read pine shavings on floor of brooder...but for the first
    Day, when the chicks arrive, those pine shavings should be
    Covered with newspaper so the chicks can find their food
    Easily. Also to not leave the newspaper down for more than
    A day, as this may cause leg problems. My question is...
    Why not just use newspaper on the 1st day (no pine shavings)
    And the next day remove newspaper and add pine shavings?
    Thanks

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I wouldnt ever use just newspaper on the brooder floor. The first day is when they are most likely to develop splay leg if left on a slippery surface. While they are still weak and floppy their legs are more likely to go out sideways from the slippery surface. I use a towel for the first few days so they can learn where the food is- then change to shavings covering newspaper. It can be washed easily enough since they dont poop too much the first few days- and the texture allows them to get a good footing when walking around.

3. capebird

capebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    Thanks very much for your "towel" suggestion and other info. That is very helpful.

4. Momaha

Momaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Sooner Nation WWHQ
    As previously recommended, it is better to use paper towels. The newspaper is slick when wet and it's easier for them to find their chick starter on the paper towels. I have found it easier to add your bedding of choice and the add several layers of paper towels on top so the next day all you have to do is remove the paper towels. Then every few days I just add a layer of bedding to keep them from walking in their own waste and do a complete change out as needed- that will depend on how many chicks you have and how big your brooder floor is. cacklehatchery.com has a free care sheet for new chicks that is loaded with information.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've never read a recommendation to use newspaper before, only recommendations not to use it. Unless shredded, that is.

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I am not with the majority on raising chicks.

I hatch and raise about 200 a month. I currently have 400 in my brooder room and I do this all year around.

I start mine out on newspaper in an aquarium in the house. I put down chick starter on the newspaper. I have only had splayed leg straight from the shell, not from newspaper. They stay on this for about 48 hours before heading down to the brooder room in the barn.

I also never, ever use shavings for little chicks. I have lost countless chicks on shavings in past years. And that is kiln dried pine shavings, too. I use weaved nylon bags, not the kind you get Purina grain in either. These are more loosely woven so the chicks have traction. I do put mine down on shavings around 4-6 weeks old depending on mental maturity and size. Bantams stay on the weave for about 5 weeks.

None of mine have ever develop splay legs. They hatch that way and I seldom have that happen, either. Not just from my own birds since I do hatch for a few other people that bring me eggs to hatch along with mine in the big 'bator.

With all the chicks I have hatched and raised I must say that I have found many things to be false. Not everything works for everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by