Newspaper in new baby home?

ChickenJill

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 14, 2010
My chicks are just hatching today. Can I put newspaper on the floor of the box I put them in or do I need some bedding material?

Newspaper is not advised because it is very slippery and can cause leg issues. You can use paper towel for the first few days and then switch over to pine shavings. It is more important for chicks to drink water in the first few hours than to eat food. They can actually live off the absorbed egg yolk for a few days after hatching, which is why hatcheries are able to ship day-old chicks. Keep an eye on your chicks to make sure they do not get pasty butt. There is tons of info on this website for raising newly hatched chicks. Enjoy and good luck!

Newspaper is not at all advisable because the newborn chicks won't be able to get traction on it, and their rubbery newborn legs run the risk of becoming malformed.

It would be better if you could give them either paper towels or a real towel (some clean old rags would be perfect. They will also help the chicks retain bodyheat as well.

Good luck with your hatch!

Back
Top Bottom