Newspaper in new baby home?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenJill, Oct 10, 2011.

1. ChickenJill

ChickenJill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    My chicks are just hatching today. Can I put newspaper on the floor of the box I put them in or do I need some bedding material?

2. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Newspaper is not advised because it is very slippery and can cause leg issues. You can use paper towel for the first few days and then switch over to pine shavings. It is more important for chicks to drink water in the first few hours than to eat food. They can actually live off the absorbed egg yolk for a few days after hatching, which is why hatcheries are able to ship day-old chicks. Keep an eye on your chicks to make sure they do not get pasty butt. There is tons of info on this website for raising newly hatched chicks. Enjoy and good luck!

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Newspaper is not at all advisable because the newborn chicks won't be able to get traction on it, and their rubbery newborn legs run the risk of becoming malformed.

It would be better if you could give them either paper towels or a real towel (some clean old rags would be perfect. They will also help the chicks retain bodyheat as well.

Good luck with your hatch!

4. ChickenJill

ChickenJill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by