Newspaper ok instead of shavings?

puebloyoga

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 9, 2011
My chicks are just a few days old. I went to my local/small feed store and they didn't sell shavings and suggested using newspapers, so that's what they're on now. Is this ok? They suggested stripping them, but the chicks seemed to trip over them, so I've just putting down flat layers. We are in the journalism dark ages and still get 3 newspapers delivered, so having enough paper won't be a problem.

Oakland, CA
1 Buff Orpington, 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 1 Welsummer, 1 Rhode Island Red and soon 2 Americaunas

Newspaper is pretty slick and it can cause them to have issues. Spraddle leg? I think? textured paper towels would be better.

I agree. Put something with texture over top of the newspaper -like towels that you can launder.

Enjoy dem lil babies.
jumpy.gif

There are also online resources for shavings, or try to find another feed store in your area.
Even pet stores sell pine or aspen shavings. At least my PetSmart does.
Amazon.com sells shavings. Aspen is the best as it will not cause respiratory issues, as pine may.
(Never use cedar!)
Aside from spraddle leg, Newspaper will also hold the moisture and dampness, in case of a water spill--making conditions ripe for disease...

I did a great deal of research before getting my chicks, and almost every book I read advised against using newspaper in the brooder (unless as a layer BENEATH wood shavings)

Thanks so much! Wow, so much to learn. Great idea about going to a pet store. I'm new to raising animals, too!

Related question - can I compost the pine or aspen shavings?

Yes, we are all definitely enjoying these wee ones...

Oakland, CA
1 Buff Orpington, 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 1 Welsummer, 1 Rhode Island Red and soon 2 Americaunas

Back
Top Bottom