Newspaper ok instead of shavings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by puebloyoga, Aug 10, 2011.

1. puebloyoga

puebloyoga Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    My chicks are just a few days old. I went to my local/small feed store and they didn't sell shavings and suggested using newspapers, so that's what they're on now. Is this ok? They suggested stripping them, but the chicks seemed to trip over them, so I've just putting down flat layers. We are in the journalism dark ages and still get 3 newspapers delivered, so having enough paper won't be a problem.

Oakland, CA
    1 Buff Orpington, 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 1 Welsummer, 1 Rhode Island Red and soon 2 Americaunas

2. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Newspaper is pretty slick and it can cause them to have issues. Spraddle leg? I think? textured paper towels would be better.

3. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    I agree. Put something with texture over top of the newspaper -like towels that you can launder.

Enjoy dem lil babies. [​IMG]

4. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Although papertowels are way better than newspaper, if you don't want your chicks to get spraddle leg would switch to pine shavings ASAP!

5. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Also the ink in the newspaper is not good for them. Maybe sand if you can't get shavings, or an old towel but it will need to be washed daily.

6. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    There are also online resources for shavings, or try to find another feed store in your area.
    Even pet stores sell pine or aspen shavings. At least my PetSmart does.
    Amazon.com sells shavings. Aspen is the best as it will not cause respiratory issues, as pine may.
    (Never use cedar!)
    Aside from spraddle leg, Newspaper will also hold the moisture and dampness, in case of a water spill--making conditions ripe for disease...

I did a great deal of research before getting my chicks, and almost every book I read advised against using newspaper in the brooder (unless as a layer BENEATH wood shavings)

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Petco, petsmart, walmart all sell bedding as well. You will spend more on a smaller bag, but far better than newspaper. Just don't buy cedar.

8. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    it's ok for a day or so they tell you to use it the 1st few days but after than i would get shaving or mix it whit newspaper

9. puebloyoga

puebloyoga Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    Thanks so much! Wow, so much to learn. Great idea about going to a pet store. I'm new to raising animals, too!

Related question - can I compost the pine or aspen shavings?

Yes, we are all definitely enjoying these wee ones...

Oakland, CA
    1 Buff Orpington, 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 1 Welsummer, 1 Rhode Island Red and soon 2 Americaunas

10. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    yes, you can compost them [​IMG] that is where mine is going! along with the paper towels I used the first few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by