Newspapers into Fire logs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Julie08, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I have an over abundance of newspaper material that I need burned. Does anyone know where I can get one of those machines to roll them into logs? Has anyone ever used one?

I don't know how much if any heat it would give but I do need to get rid of the newspaper so I might be willing to try it.

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    my mom used to do it. It's super time-consuming. You roll a paper into log, then dampen it. Roll another paper over that. dampen. then another paper over that, and so on. When it is as thick as you want your log to be, tie it off with string and sit it to dry out.

Wetting it down helps compact the paper so that it will be tighter and more "wood-like". You do have to roll them super-tight too

3. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    thanks!! Since I have about 6 skids to do I might be at it for a while

4. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Lehmans 39.95
    Deluth trading co 49.95
    Home Depot 57.97

5. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    We have a lot of newspapers but instead of rolling them I crunch them into a ball so that oxygen can get in there better. I find that if I just use them layered they don’t burn well or hot. But then again, I don’t know what the machine is you are talking about. Sounds like a great invention [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by