Newspapers - WINDY day - yuck

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ThreeBoysChicks, Dec 31, 2008.

1. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    The wind is blowing really hard here this morning. Our pasture fence, which is 2X4 wire with board around the top is covered with newspapers that have blown out of peoples nespaper boxes or off the ground. Our place looks like a dump right now.

It is for that reason that we don't get a paper delivered to our house.

Just wanted to complain and no one is hear awake to listen.

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I'm awake! [​IMG]

We have the same problem ~ when I was feeding the chickens this morning, all sorts of paper junk was blowing by. They finally got tired of jumping and squawking every time something blew around, so they went inside the coop.

3. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    here too....90 to nothing winds blowing...the last 2 days were beautiful now today cold and windy and we have to pull fence today....

4. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    ThreeBoysChicks - you gettin' any snow over your way? I just had a squall come through Braddock.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It's blowing like mad here also. [​IMG] Be safe and don't blow away! [​IMG]

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I'm just plain old tired of rude people and thier throwing out their bottles, cans and trash in my yard. It's large and runs the road side for quite a distance. I have to constantly pick up the rubbish from out of my yard! [​IMG] If it's windy it just makes a bigger mess [​IMG]

7. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Quote:We too had that squall through here. When I went out to feed this morning, it was calm as could be. I put the horses hay out in field ( I do that on nice days to give them something to do other than stand around in their stalls eatting). No sonner after I came in, the winds got up and all the hay is blown up against the fence. The goats are actually standing up on their back legs, eatting the hay out of the fence.

8. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Quote:You be safe also.

About 16 years ago, in a really windy spell like this, one entire side of our house roof (shingles) blew off. I will never forget that sound. And to this day, when the wind gets up, I worry.

9. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    Quote:We too had that squall through here. When I went out to feed this morning, it was calm as could be. I put the horses hay out in field ( I do that on nice days to give them something to do other than stand around in their stalls eatting). No sonner after I came in, the winds got up and all the hay is blown up against the fence. The goats are actually standing up on their back legs, eatting the hay out of the fence.

Nowcast as of 8:36 am EST on December 31, 2008
    Now
    High Wind Warning in effect for the Baltimore Metro area from 9 am to 10 PM... A strong cold front will continue to move across the mid Atlantic region today. Wind gusts of 50 to 60 mph will accompany this frontal passage this morning across ridges and higher elevations of the central Shenandoah Valley this morning. Gusts of 40 to 50 mph are expected across north central Maryland...northern Virginia...the northern Shenandoah Valley...and the DC Metro area. By mid morning...the front will be located near the Chesapeake Bay...and will bring wind gusts of 50 to 60 mph to the Baltimore Metro area. Gusty winds will continue through much of the day as the pressure gradient will remain tight.

Seems we're at the front edge of that Artic clipper...it's stomping its boots right across Braddock right now. I can hear the mountaintop groaning.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's really windy here, too. They mail our paper, so it goes in the mailbox, thank goodness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by