Next Box Pattern

squeakyballs

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 7, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Will the pieces actually fit together and work? Or, am I way off?

I want to make 2 nest boxes (about 14" x 14" each, but with a slanted roof) that can be opened from the outside (which is why there is no back).

22588_jessdesignnestbox.jpg

22588_jessicadesignpattern.jpg

I don't know about your measurements but the design looks good. I would reverse it though, hang it on the outside of the coop and lift up the roof to get to the eggs and have what you list as the outside, actually be the inside and open so the chickens just jump in.. then you won't have to build doors or worry about the chickens roosting on it.

Nancy

Oops, my slanted side should be closer to 17 1/8 inches not 20 inches... I didn't subtract correctly and used 14 instead of 10 - I FAIL

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Ohhh that is why they usually face out! I was thinking it would be harder to waterproof, for some reason. Thank you!

No problem, that way you don't have to go in the coop to collect the eggs and it gives you more room inside your coop too.

Nancy
smile.png

I think that having boxes that open on the outside are favorites.

However, you need to make sure that the outside box and lid have some kind of a lock to keep out predators. Racooons can open a box without locks!!

Good Luck!!

design aside what is the preffered location of the nest box ? it seems outside mounted units would or could be colder than inside. is it enough of a difference to consider ? outside mounted units really free up square and cubic footage.

I like your original design ..

If you put it outside like somebody suggested, then you have to waterproof it.. I don't imagine you have a big water problem where you are located.. maybe you should provide a ledge for the chickens to land on if the nest is off the floor ..

maybe you could make a peep hole in each nest so that you can check to see if there is a chicken in the nest before you open the door and startle the heck out of her..

Back
Top Bottom