Next step for butchered rooster's?

BlueBaby

Chick hatching addict.
8 Years
Mar 21, 2016
Someplace near Phoenix, Arizona
I posted this over in the recipe section, but I guess that some of you don't go there so missed it:

A couple of day's ago, I had someone come over here to help me to cull 3 roosters. I watched so that I could learn how to do it. Anyway's the roosters went into my freezer the same day that they were butchered. When I decide to take one of them out to thaw in the fridge, what will I need to do? Is there something that they will have to brine or marinade in to help to make them tender? What would be a good recipe for them? I don't have a pressure cooker, but I do have a crock pot.

Good Morning,
How old were the roosters? Age is usually the governing issue. You can search on this to get several more answers.

Since he was frozen same day, the meat did not rest. I'd thaw in frigerator for 5 days. 3 for thaw & 2 to rest & pass rigor mortis. Otherwise meat will be tougher. You can marinade or brine during this time.

If the rooster was older than 6 months, gumbeaux! Chicken & dumplings or soup. Cook him on low heat & slow. Crock pot is perfect.

Ok, two of them (Australorps) were about 8 months old, and the other one (CCLB) was 6 months old. I have more cockerels over here that are still growing and aren't big enough to butcher yet. Since no one wants the boy's I had to do something with them, so I figured that I should eat them. This was my first time doing this, so I have no idea how to prep them. I figured that it would be best to ask here to get advice from people who have the experience. I think that when I thaw them they will need to marinate, but what is best to marinate them in?

When i processed my show broilers, we'd let them rest anywhere from 1-2 days on ice in a cooler, then straight on the grill or oven they would go, they were SO good...

8 months old, I would lean towards soup or gumbeaux. Roasting slow or smoking is good too.

Marinate = what ever you like. Some people douse in BBQ. Search here or a recipe site. Brining, marinade or any old sauce. Cook them slow.

You like vinegar or sweet bases?

8 months old, I would lean towards soup or gumbeaux. Roasting slow or smoking is good too.

Marinate = what ever you like. Some people douse in BBQ. Search here or a recipe site. Brining, marinade or any old sauce. Cook them slow.

You like vinegar or sweet bases?

Thank you for understanding what I'm looking for. A sweet base would be fine, as long as it isn't too sweet. I threw away the chicken parts, because my dog turned up his nose at the hearts, and will only eat cooked chicken (Spoiled dog).

For the dog, boil everything with garlic. Pour over the dry food. Or save the broth for making rice/stuffing/soup for yourself! Mine love it either way. And are happy to get anything!

Sorry, I can't help with a sweet sauce. I prefer smoked and have been brining lately with a lot of rosemary fresh from the yard. I have used Italian salad dressing as a marinade, but that is vinegar based. Also used honey mustard. That came out sweet. I used the store brand honey mustard straight from the bottle. Works well. Marinate for a day then cook. Slather it on thick! Easy peasy!

If you have a recipe you like, use it. It'll be great!

For the dog, boil everything with garlic. Pour over the dry food. Or save the broth for making rice/stuffing/soup for yourself! Mine love it either way. And are happy to get anything!

Sorry, I can't help with a sweet sauce. I prefer smoked and have been brining lately with a lot of rosemary fresh from the yard. I have used Italian salad dressing as a marinade, but that is vinegar based. Also used honey mustard. That came out sweet. I used the store brand honey mustard straight from the bottle. Works well. Marinate for a day then cook. Slather it on thick! Easy peasy!

If you have a recipe you like, use it. It'll be great!

Thank you very much for your help! Now, I will have to see what a home-grown rooster tastes like!

Back
Top Bottom