Next to nothing feed - Why not?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Excluss, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Excluss

Excluss Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Hey Guys, I am only young but as my father said. Why can't you order from hotels all there scraps from peoples plates etc. Sift through all the bad stuff and take it out. Bring a cauldron to the boil cooking for a few hours and slowly add in corn flower to thicken the mixture and serve to chickens as a feed.

This use to happen to pigs until regulations got tuff, so why can't we do this with small flocks and even commercial broilers?
    All the nutrients from vegetables, lots of protein etc.. Everything a chicken needs to be fair, and its not like broilers are vegetarians.

Would be a good discussion :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    While a scrap diet like that will probably keep the birds alive, it is not balanced to provide nutrients in the nescessary amounts to maximize bird health and production. You could provide part of their diet that way, and make the larger part of the diet a balanced ration to help cut costs.

In Michigan you can no longer get vegetable and fruit culls from grocery stores, apparently they were afraid people were taking the food and eating it, so stores are no longer allowed to save leftovers and culls for givaways.

3. Excluss

Feb 8, 2012
    Okey, But for commercial broilers would this just delay there weight gain using a small part boiled slurry, and a bigger part store brought pellets.

Would'nt a natural flock grow big on this as its like a porridge, Im sure I would hahaha

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

An awful lot of time and work involved as well. I guess if a person had the time and didn't mind collecting and sorting all that garbage...

Saw something on TV not long ago, maybe it was on DIrty Jobs? I don't recall, but that's exactly what they did. Collected all the food waste from local hotels, sorted it, cooked it and fed it to hogs. Let me tell you, it was really, really gross! And it had to be sorted very carefully because of all the non food items found mixed in. But, I guess if a person didn't mind all of that, including the stench from the garbage and the cooking...

5. Excluss

Feb 8, 2012
    Not if your living where I am girl. Kenya, wages is so cheap and as feed cost is 70-80% of the total cost this would save a fortune!

6. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, don't know about the legal climate in Kenya, but here in the US most business's are so afraid of being sued that they actually put locks on the dumpsters.

7. Excluss

Feb 8, 2012
    Yeah, here it costs money to take your 'garbage' away so if someone said, we'll take away all of your stuff from the kitchen for free, they would be over the moon.
    Kenya's still a developing country but by the time that happens, I would of saved a lot.

Question is, is it better to feed commercial broilers with a small percentage slurry and high % of store brought feed, or would they gain weight slower?

8. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Can't speak for poultry, but when I was a lad there used to be a fellow who kept hogs. He bought kitchen garbage and, since in that place and time you couldn't feed hogs anything that was raw he'd hire ex-convicts to 'cook' the scraps over open fires in huge old cast iron pots.

Here's an authoritative, interesting and informative article on feeding kitchen scraps to chickens:

http://blog.mcmurrayhatchery.com/2011/10/04/feeding-your-chickens-table scraps/

9. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    The biggest difference between feeding "kitchen scraps" from home and from trash is controlling what goes in it. For instance, chickens shouldn't eat salt in excess, chocolate, coffee grounds etc. At home, you can set aside a bin of appropriate scraps. Getting someone's trash, even from a restaraunt, you are going to end up with a big mix of who knows what, including chemicals. When I worked in restaraunts, we didn't have seperate food trash cans. Paper towels from wiping up chemicals would go right in there too.

Ultimately, it depends on how healthy you want your chickens. Frankly, I want to know what the meat I'm eating was eating before slaughter. This is why I started raising meat birds and why I don't eat meat now unless it was grass fed, free range etc from a reputable source. In the US, the cattle industry is feeding factory second candy (wrappers and all) to cows to save money on feed. Sorry but a cow wasn't made to live off of candy or bakery products or whatever else.

10. Excluss

Feb 8, 2012
    Hmm thats was a good read, So I wonder if you did that and added something like cooked soybean flour as this has a high protein content to make it like porridge. Guess that would complete all there needs then? :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by