1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nexting box lining materials -- possible allergy to wheat straw

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by noelalala, Apr 14, 2012.

1. noelalala

noelalala Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Since a family member is allergic to gluten which is a protein found in wheat, I'm thinking I should change our nesting box liner material from wheat straw to something else.
    I've seen references to pine shavings. We have that.
    Anything else people like for this purpose???

And are there any gluten intolerant folks here who can comment about whether or not wheat straw causes them ill effects?

Thanks,
    : )
    Noel

2. MontanaMomma

MontanaMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    I don't know anything about gluten allergies, but I made the switch from straw to pine shavings years ago and never looked back. I have a small urban operation so my soiled straw had to be either bagged and put in a dumpster or put in the compost pile. FYI: Straw takes forever to decompose! People talk about putting straw in gardens and flower beds, but I don't really want our entire property to smell like chicken pooh... Pine shavings are a GREAT addition to the compost pile, are sooo easy to bag and keep the coop/nest boxes dry, dust free and nice smelling. And my hens have nary a complaint! Just make sure your shavings are not cedar or from treated wood and you'll be doing yourself, your family and your chickens a favor! MM

3. noelalala

noelalala Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Thanks!
    We have pine shavings b/c I use it on the floor of the coop. The only reason I put wheat straw in the nesting boxes is b/c, well, I guess I've seen others do it, so I did it too!
    : )
    Noel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by