nfz puff (eye infection)

spook

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
North Central Florida
Hi guys, foolish question. Seems like everyone is having eye issues lately with their poultry. The girl I have is a bit wheezy, rattles a bit, not like an airway blockage- well its improved. She had been on Terramycin for 4 days, little results, so I changed it to Sulmet yesterday, a few results for the first few hours. Her eye began to show a couple bubbles, one actually popped when she blinked.

Today going to the feed store, they gave me a product called nfz puff it is for eye and Ear infections in dogs and cats, also surface wounds, cuts and abrasions. It contains 0.2% Nitrofuazone in a water-soluble base.
This powder says to puff it into the eye of the dog or cat and if no improvement in 4 days, seek the vet.

I am curious to know what you think about this product, even tho its not for chicken use, the young lady looked it up online- in which I have not.

Thank you in advance, I appreciate any info if its good enough for the eye area of a bantam pullet

Never used it but found this on a listing for this product.

CAUTION: Federal Law Prohibits the use of this product in food producing animals.

HUMAN WARNINGS: Carcinogenisis: Nitrofurazone has been shown to produce mammary tumors in rats and ovarian tumors in mice.

Quote:
Yes, it has that on the bottle. Not that I do not care about the cancer in rats, but I think those tests are not accurate because of the fact that they give mice/rats enough to knock an elephant out! That way in 4 weeks they can develope cancer.
I plan on using this in the one eye of my chicken so I dunno if I should or not....grrrrr. I sincerely respect your answer, hmmm. Of course there is not a TSC around to get the ointment Terramycin in. Either way, Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
big_smile.png

I have used it on cats and dogs. It seems like it is painful to them and I would only use it if there was nothing better to use. On top of that, it might help but really does not seem to be that useful. But if you need to use it I would. It may help.

Thanks Tiki, I bought this stuff and thought I'd mix with a tad of water, doesn't seem right to put powder in anythings eyes.
My girl is doing better today after I started them on Sulmet. So far so good, I'll play the wait and watch for the moment. Thanks again for the reply!

your welcome, I haven't been on here too much lately. I think it sounds like a good idea to add water to it like you did. That would probably be better than dry.

Back
Top Bottom