NH family of 4 w/ $1,500 annual food budget

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by country lady, Feb 18, 2009.

1. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    Are these people great or what! That $1,500 also includes other household items.

I've always watched my food purchases because sometimes that is the only area that can be cut. I see fewer coupons these days and rarely use them because I cook basic food, not food products. I shop carefully for meat--not only the price but how many meals it will serve.

It is also a way to tell the food processors that I am not under their thumbs.

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I wish I knew how to do that! DH and I spend about $150/month just for the 2 of us. That's less than we use to since I've learned better ways to do things, but that's still $1500 in 10 months!

3. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Quote:Is there an article that you can link to. Those people have got to be serious bargain hunters and coupon collectors that spend hours sorting stuff out to get those deals.

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    We cut and cut and cut every month... I need $200 a month to make it work. Then again my veggi garden isn't finished yet and getting that started will change ALOT because I but alot of fresh items. Fresh items are ridiculously priced these days.

Us chicken people though, we like to cut back, scale back and take care of our own [​IMG]

5. country lady

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    One way that I save and still serve a good meal, for example, yesterday I had an organic chicken from Wal-Mart that cost about $6.50, higher than other chicken. But I cut up and fried most of it in the oven after soaking it in buttermilk. It was the best I've ever made. We will have two dinners, sandwiches, and tomorrow I will make gumbo from parts we aren't crazy about, adding It. sausage and veggies from the freezer. I will get two gumbo meals.

With the chicken we had potatoes, gravy, green beans, and coleslaw, which we will have left-overs today. We love left-overs!

I think age is also important. DH and I grew up in meat and potato families. Now we eat more vegetables as we age. I doubt that the woman in the article has two teenage boys with hollow legs.

It's fun to try to outwit the grocery store and still eat better food.

6. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Give me a link! I have cut and cut, but I cannot manage that.

Have any of you noticed extreme price volatility on regular food items lately?

Some have shot up, a few have shot down, but in odd ways. I am confused and a little scared by it.

7. country lady

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    This article was on the Fox webpage this morning, Wednesday, Feb. 18th.

I went back and this was the website: MyFOXBoston.com. I wasn't able to pull it up on my computer. According to the article the couple is spending an amazing $125 a month. They will do this for a year.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  8. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I would love to see this article...(too lazy to google it, so if you have a link that would be wonderful).....
    We have never eatten 'high on the hog' so to speak. But yet I seem to spend lots on groceries...We have our own meat so rarely is meat ever bought at the store. We can lots of our veggies from the garden, but always seem to run out no matter how much canning I do. I haven't figured out the bread machine yet (I always end up with a cement block when I try to make it--over and over again even trying different techniques). I pride myself on being a clearance/sale shopper and very seldom do I ever pay full or even 1/2 price for things--not food related...even when it comes to holidays...buy at the end of season for next season...x-mas wrapping paper for 10 cents instead of $2.50 a roll.
    We don't really use paper products (paper towels, plates, cups) only for b-day parties type of things. We have a front load washer so it uses 1/4 of the laundry soap I use to use...
    Even with all these cut/cheaper ways I still don't save alot of money...if it's there it's a small amount...So yes if there's a link or tips I would love to read them...

9. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I wouldn't be surprised if these folks here aren't spending around that to feed 4 adults for a year.
    http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/

I'm nowhere near that self-sufficient, but it is inspiring to know it can be done.

I read an article in Reader's Digest about a family that vowed to spend no extra money beyond basic bills for a month (they lived off pantry stock). They survived, but it was hard.

I know I could be sitting much better if I could just manage my money better.

10. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I went to the webpage, but when I clicked on the link it said error on page...But then I went into the news crew blog (thingy) and found this...It says the mom has a blog...Haven't checked it out yet, but will after posting this....

Groceries for 1500 Dollars a Year
    Heather and Bourne Spooner live in NH with their two sons, a dog and a cat. Heather is a high school teacher, so every summer when she's not at work, the family lives off her husband's income. She says this gave her an idea.

The Spooners are challenging themselves to spend no more than 1,500-dollars this year in grocery bills. That also includes expenses like haircuts and medical copays!

They really are incredible, the way they are so organized! Heather runs a blog, where she links to moneysaving web sites. She clips coupons, sends in for rebates, and has amassed a pretty substantial stockpile of food. They have given up going out to eat until their anniversary in December. She won't even buy a cup of coffee (she makes it at home).

The couple says last month alone they saved four-thousand dollars! Their average monthly grocery bill? 125-dollars. For a family of four!!

It certainly made me think twice about the impulse shopping I do at the grocery store. What do you think, could you do challenge yourself to do this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by