NH Red Egg Laying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nhred_mom, Sep 24, 2011.

1. nhred_mom

nhred_mom New Egg

Sep 10, 2011
    Hi, One of my NH Reds is having a hard time with one of her eggs. The egg is haging out of her butt, however it looks like it's stuck in the sack cause there's a big red film and sack around it. I checked her and the egg out, don't want to yank the egg cause I really don't want to hurt her. What do I do? Basically it looks like a huge egg hanging down all red.

2. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

A lot of the time you can get a stuck egg out of an eggbound hen with a nice warm bath. You can wash soak her in the tub, a sink, a rubbermaid, a bucket - whatever you've got. Make the water nice and warm (should be very warm not lukewarm but not a shock to put your hand in it), deep enough so it just barely covers her back if she stands (they almost always stand for a bath). Lower her into the water and sit there with her about 15 minutes. She may relax and pass the egg in the bath. You may be able to gently work the egg out with a gloved & lubricated (like KY-jelly) finger. After the bath, put her under a heat lamp to dry & recuperate (if she passed it), or to dry & hopefully relax & pass it.

Once you get that egg out of her, her oviduct may not retract right away. This is called prolapse, and if you catch it right away, you can reverse it most of the time. After the egg has passed, apply some hemorrhoidal cream and gently push the protruding material back into the vent. Put her somewhere warm for a few days to let her rest and so the others won't pick at her. In addition, you may want to put her somewhere dark to slow down the egg development process & give her time to heal up before another egg is ready to lay.

Make sure that your girls have access to a good calcium supplement like oystershell, too. It can prevent egg-binding in many (not all) cases. Good luck!!

3. nhred_mom

nhred_mom New Egg

Sep 10, 2011
    Unfortunately what your saying and what I am seeing is two different things. The egg is hanging outside her body, it's not inside her. The membrane didn't let loose inside of her. I have her separate from the other girls so that they leave her alone. Hopefully she can get the egg out later tonight if not tomorrow morning. She's one of those who hates being picked up, so that's out of the question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by