NH Red plucking her own feathers!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Herroyalhenness, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Herroyalhenness

Herroyalhenness Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    At first, we thought it was another hen because she's the scrawnier of the two, but it looks like my darling little Henrietta is plucking feathers from her bum and the base of her tail. I thought this was another protein problem, but we're giving them birdseed and dried mealworms with their normal feed, and nothing seems to be helping. her back and bum are always red and bald. We even isolated her for about a week, and it didn't help... what should we do?

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Try giving her meat as chickens are omnivores. You can give her canned cat food/tuna/meat,etc.

Check her over for mites/lice as these will also cause feather picking,due to the fact that the mites/lice are irritating to the skin. Look under wings,around base of tail feathers and around vent area.

Apply some sort of antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "cane/caine" toxic to chickens)to red areas,and try giving her a bath in epsom salts,may help with irritated skin.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by