NHR growth rate?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by beanmcnulty, Mar 24, 2011.

1. beanmcnulty

beanmcnulty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    Hi all!
    I am starting out a st run flock of BOs and NHRs (~30) this year, my goals are eggs enough to sell a bit and also some freezer "pops." I was thinking of getting some red broiler types (not interested in cornish x) and doing them in a tractor for meat, but if the NHRs perform well enough i think i would like to breed them for a self-sustaining meatie flock. The NHRs are from tsc in central ohio so I dont know what hatchery that might be- I was thinking of seeing what roo is largest at 16 weeks and choosing him and maybe a runner up for breeding. Does anyone have experience with hatchery NHRs and how large they are at abt 16-18 weeks? I am hoping for 4 pounds!
    Thanks!
    Shelly

2. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    New Hampshires (no "Red") should work as a dual purpose breed. But, my guess is that you are going to need to grow the cockerels out a bit longer than 16-18 weeks to reach your target dressed weight. With some selective breeding, you may well be able to reach your target weight in 16-18 weeks.

3. beanmcnulty

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    Quote:Awesome- I cant wait to try the breeding thing! Although I keep hearing that it takes a long time to select for things you want...I guess time will tell.

4. TimG

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    There is (or was) a video on YouTube about a contest in the 1950's (or so) involving growing out meat chickens to market weight (the video, as I recall in two parts, appeared to be a 30 minute TV show). I believe most entries were New Hampshires. The winning weights were puny compared to today's hybrid meat birds. I know that's all rather vague, but the point of it all is that dual purpose birds, even those bred for meat, will be much smaller than the jumbo Cornish Crosses. Just because they were used for meat 50 or 100 years ago, does not mean that live up to what we use for meat these days.

As long as you have modest goals, as I think your 4 pound weight it, you should be OK.

5. TimG

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Found the video. From 1948.

6. Jared77

Jared77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Howell, MI
    Thing is though people eat more now than we did in the 50's. Our portions have gotten bigger, and we eat more calories per day than we did in the 50's. Heck our plates have gotten bigger. I noticed that when I saw my Grandma's china, her dinner plates were smaller than what we used to use. So we can hold more food. Heck in the last 20 years alone things have really gotten out of control. Check out this site http://hp2010.nhlbihin.net/portion/ so maybe if we get ourselves in check a bit maybe we'll be better off.

I know the birds that we raise now won't measure up to the CX of today but thats why. Its all perspective.

7. sewandgrow

sewandgrow Sewandgrow

Sep 7, 2010
    Turlock California
    Quote:You might check with Denny Thomas (Lotsapaints here on BYC) she has a meat (dual purpose ) breed that she crosses & dresses out at 12 & 1/2 weeks. I don't know the weight. I don't think I asked, but she says they're great & I have only good things to say about her.

8. beanmcnulty

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    Quote:You might check with Denny Thomas (Lotsapaints here on BYC) she has a meat (dual purpose ) breed that she crosses & dresses out at 12 & 1/2 weeks. I don't know the weight. I don't think I asked, but she says they're great & I have only good things to say about her.

Sounds exactly who I am looking for! Thanks!! Crazy about the plate thing- I generally use salad plates for dinner- rarely do i bring out the regular "dinner" plates unless a salad or fruit goes on it:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by