NHR or Red Star?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Louieandthecrew, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a NHR or Red Star. Here she is :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    find the pic. Look above for uploads. upload your pictures and copy and paste the bottom URL to the post.

3. Louieandthecrew

Cool! Thanks!

4. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    with the options you put it would be a red star. I am not a expert but I believe that NHRs would be a full medium dark red. Just not as dark as a RIR.

5. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Its a red star, New Hampsgires dont have white feathers

6. Louieandthecrew

Cool! Thanks. That is what I was thinking but I didn't know for sure. On the top picture the rooster in the background is a miniature fancy RIR so that is the color difference so... yah. Thanks!

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Ditto. As much as I like NHR's the red stars are better and longer layers and not nearly so nasty.

8. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Ditto. As much as I like NHR's the red stars are better and longer layers and not nearly so nasty.

Really??
    From what I've read Red stars production usually drops on their second year and then on their first year it drops dramaticly, I've myself dont have experience with NHR since mine are still to young to lay but from what I've read they lay a little bit less than red Stars but they hold their egg production better on their second and third year.
    But like i said thats just from what I've read.

9. Louieandthecrew

Well... thanks for letting me know! My uncle used to raise chickens when he was younger and he said it was a Red Star but I just wanted to make sure [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by