NHR or RIR??????Rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Aframechickens191, May 28, 2010.

1. Aframechickens191

Aframechickens191 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Im fairly certain this is a New Hampshire red roo, but i got him free from a friend along with 7 others as chicks and he is the biggest of 4 roos from that bunch (yes, 4 roos out of 7, but hey they were free) I have him in his own little dog kennel and he gets along fine. however, ive read that NHRs are suppossed to be rather aggressive. this roo is quite affectionate! he follows me around when i let him out to graze, and he lets people pick him up and pet him without hesitation. hes beautiful, but what is he exactly? Any ideas?? He was 1 yo in february.

[​IMG][/img]
    Unfortunately, no amount of jellies or creams or oils could stop the bitter frostbite from taking half his comb....

[​IMG][/img]

2. SAORSA

SAORSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Wine Country
    It does look like a New Hampshire Red roo.

I'm not the one to ask but here's a bump. [​IMG]

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    He is a New Hampshire...

Chris

4. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Agreed. NHR. I've had some friendly and some not so friendly. I'll tolerate to a certain point the nasty ones until they go after my daughter, then that's the end of the road for them. Be careful that he doesn't get too confident and start to rule you or the other humans. The last barred rock I had did that. When he was acclimating to his new home he was nothing but a big puppy dog, a baby that wanted attention. Then he became so acclimated that he began to spur me. That went on with my kicking his tail feathers away or putting him to the ground, where he'd stop that nonsense for a couple of days. Until the day came when he jumped up in my daughter's face as she bent over to feed and bloodied her check, just missing her eye. Ole BR was no more after that. My point... just be careful that doesn't happen to you one day. Don't get so comfortable you don't expect what a roo will normally do, and that is RULE his surroundings and all those in it. The only roo I have here that I am certain would never pull something like that is my Australorp that is 2 1/2 yrs old. I don't think he has a fightin' bone in his big body.

5. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Deff a NHR and very nice looking too.

6. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

How can you tell NHR from RIR...newbie here...[​IMG]

7. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    RIR's are a beautiful dark red with green and black tail feathers, a lot darker than the NHR which is a softer orangey/red color.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:For the most part when dealing with hatchery type birds it would be the body color. Rhode Island Reds are a little darker than New Hampshire's

The Breed is a New Hampshire not a New Hampshire Red

Chris

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  9. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Quote:For the most part when dealing with hatchery type birds it would be the body color. Rhode Island Reds are a little darker than New Hampshire's

The Breed is a New Hampshire not a New Hampshire Red

Chris

Absolutley true. There is no "Red" in "New hampshire"

10. SAORSA

SAORSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Wine Country
    A rose by any other name .... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by