Niacin and brewers yeast question... and couple other questions to:)

chickenlady08

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Shore, VA
Hi all,

My geese are approzimately 8 weeks old. (not sure of exact age when i bought them) They have certainly grown into 2 gorgeous babies. Not sure of gender either, but doesn't matter I will get the opposite sex next year to have. Well I was wondering about supplementing with Niacin and brewers yeast. I don't see any issues with their legs but I am the type to worry even if it is not a problem. I just like to be prepared. I bought some Niacin (beleive 500 mg) and already had some brewers yeast w/garlic. Is it a good idea to give this to them. They are eating the Grower/Finisher chicken food, which is lower in the protein and does have Niacin in it but not sure of how much exactly. They also are outside their pen all day and locked up at night. I give them a large bunch of organic kale and they love this along with all the grass they want.

I also have a question about what to use for a step for them to get into their bigger kiddie pool that we bought over the weekend. While they have grown their legs aren't that tall and don't want them to trip and fall out or inside. They have a small pool now and they can easily step onto the ledge and walk in but the bigger pool is taller. Hubby said to use a cinder block inside and outside but I don't want to use them because they will damage their feet and possible their legs. He is going to dig me a natural pond and we have springs that can fill it as well.

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

I am a goose newbie also, but here's my 2 cents... I think that brewers yeast and niacin can't hurt, but if they don't get enough it can hurt them. So what the heck, put some in their water. On the kiddie pool, I was worried about the same thing, but they grow so fast that they never needed a step to get into the one we have. They just kind of fell in and then fell out, it was kind of cute, but then again, I don't know how tall the sides of your pool are. Maybe just keep using the smaller one till they are fully feathered and grown at about 3 mos. good luck, jenn - oh, and we need pictures!

[email protected] :

I am a goose newbie also, but here's my 2 cents... I think that brewers yeast and niacin can't hurt, but if they don't get enough it can hurt them. So what the heck, put some in their water. On the kiddie pool, I was worried about the same thing, but they grow so fast that they never needed a step to get into the one we have. They just kind of fell in and then fell out, it was kind of cute, but then again, I don't know how tall the sides of your pool are. Maybe just keep using the smaller one till they are fully feathered and grown at about 3 mos. good luck, jenn - oh, and we need pictures!

Oh thank you! I would be glad to post pictures but I truly don't know how to post them. There is nothing that I would love to do more than to show off my 2 beautiful babies (even thought they don't look like babies anymore) Gosh I love them so. LOL​

Regarding the pool, my geese are about two months old and have learned to use a thick patio-type block to step up and into the pool. The kiddie pool is the Kmart kind, 60" in diameter, and maybe 10" high. The block is close to 3" high. I started with two blocks next to each other outside, and one inside the pool. After a couple of days, it was obvious they didn't need the inside block, and now I only set one outside block down to assist whichever goose wants to use it.

It was funny to watch them try to get into the pool the first few days! They walked around the outside, stepped onto and then off the blocks, and continued circling until one made the connection and went in with a splash. Now they either climb in or use the block.

Back
Top Bottom