Niacin and chicks???

mlsouth

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 9, 2014
Hi. So quick question. In about a week ill have 11 Ancona ducklings and 7 Buff Orpington chicks, this will be my first time rearing ducklings, and i got the chicks to add "new blood" to my breeding stocks. Im going to be brooding them together ( I only have the one brooder) and I understand that it is a good idea to supplement niacin into the ducklings drinking water ( maybe not totally essential, but id like to for good measure) and I also know its possible to over-dose baby poultry with niacin. They will all be eating Non-Medicated chick starter, and i was wondering if it would hurt my chicks at all to add niacin to everyones water. Thoughts/personal experiences? Thanks.

I will be feeding mine (ducks, chicks, turkeys) all the same non-medicated chick starter but instead of adding niacin to the water I will be putting brewers yeast on all they're food since it's almost impossible, without separating them, to make sure they eat only their own food. I believe its 5%, 1/2 c to 10 lbs of feed. It is necessary otherwise you will have ducklings with bad legs! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom