Niacin and chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mlsouth, Feb 10, 2014.

1. mlsouth

mlsouth Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2014
    Hi. So quick question. In about a week ill have 11 Ancona ducklings and 7 Buff Orpington chicks, this will be my first time rearing ducklings, and i got the chicks to add "new blood" to my breeding stocks. Im going to be brooding them together ( I only have the one brooder) and I understand that it is a good idea to supplement niacin into the ducklings drinking water ( maybe not totally essential, but id like to for good measure) and I also know its possible to over-dose baby poultry with niacin. They will all be eating Non-Medicated chick starter, and i was wondering if it would hurt my chicks at all to add niacin to everyones water. Thoughts/personal experiences? Thanks.

2. alaskanchickens

alaskanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    I will be feeding mine (ducks, chicks, turkeys) all the same non-medicated chick starter but instead of adding niacin to the water I will be putting brewers yeast on all they're food since it's almost impossible, without separating them, to make sure they eat only their own food. I believe its 5%, 1/2 c to 10 lbs of feed. It is necessary otherwise you will have ducklings with bad legs! Good luck!

3. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

The amount of niacin you add should not harm the chicks, I've only READ this and have not used it in practice, I guess that doesn't help you much though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by