Niacin Deficiency? Video added!

HilaryAkin

Songster
May 23, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
Hi all,

I have a week and a half old duckling. I noticed she is not getting around well, lays down a lot, and is wobbly. Today I saw her hock joint (??) on one foot is enlarged (see pic below) and she won't put weight on it. Does this sound like niacin deficiency? I went to the local feed store today and get a Durvet Vitamin and electrolyte supplement for their water.

If not a niacin issue, a sprain or something? It almost looks like her hock joint is bruised and that leg is peeling a bit...

Any insight would be appreciated as I already love my little Penelope and want her to grow up healthy.

Thanks,
Hilary

Attachments

• P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 22
  • P2.jpg
    P2.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
What are you feeding? You can use brewer's yeast as a niacin supplement. Ducklings need about 10 mg of niacin per day. You need about 1.5 tsp of yeast added to each cup of feed.

Enlarged hocks and trouble walking are both signs of a niacin deficiency. Pekins being a large breed require extra niacin and Purina only has the recommended amount for average sized ducklings. Since your duckling is showing multiple signs of a deficiency I would highly recommend Durvet's B complex (carried by most farm/ag stored) given at 1 ml per day.

Enlarged hocks and trouble walking are both signs of a niacin deficiency. Pekins being a large breed require extra niacin and Purina only has the recommended amount for average sized ducklings. Since your duckling is showing multiple signs of a deficiency I would highly recommend Durvet's B complex (carried by most farm/ag stored) given at 1 ml per day.
They didn’t have it at our local one ugh. I only got the supplement with some niacin in it. Is that enough? I could order the complex online but it would take time.

They didn’t have it at our local one ugh. I only got the supplement with some niacin in it. Is that enough? I could order the complex online but it would take time.
No one can tell unless you know how much 'some' niacin is in it.
As I said, they need 10 mg of niacin per day.
I would think you can find some brewer's yeast at any grocery store. That would be a great supplement at 1.5 tsp per cup of feed.
I’m not right next to it, but looked it up and it says :

Niacin
10,000 Mg min​
But 10,000 mg per how much?
10,000 mg per 100 grams, 1000 grams or 10,000 grams?

Back
Top Bottom