Niacin, deworming, sick gander help!

Lunaroso

Hatching
Aug 12, 2018
Hello all,
I just joined here and i feel like this is a good place to start since i could find much online about geese.
I have 3 Chinese geese that i got at one day Old and now I’m extremely attached to them. They are about 5 months old. 1 female and 2 males. One of my males is white and is having some issues. He is my favorite and losing him would be awful.
2 weeks ago i came home from work and noticed he was carrying his one wing over his head when he walked and just laying around. He’s usually the ringleader so i got worried he was attacked while i was away. I looked him over and he had no physical injuries. I took him to the nearest vet and they said he just had a sprained wing and gave me some anti inflammatories. After a couple days of the medicine he was much better and getting around fine.
Exactly 2 weeks later [yesterday] i came home from work again and he was sprawled out on the ground with his wings out. I thought he was dead...he seemed fine in the morning. When i got close he popped up but could barely walk. He kept falling on his face and seemed drunk. I did some reading online and all i could come up with was maybe he has a heavy worm load or has a niacin deficiency. The other 2 brown Chinese geese that he grew up with are fine. I have him a stench of vitamins and some brewers yeast last night. Luckily he was alive this morning. He’s getting around but very slow. Whatever it was yesterday hit him like a ton of bricks. Any ideas what’s going on with him? What should i use to deworm? I have no idea what to use. I have ivermectin that i use for my goats. I’ll continue niacin...could it be anything else?

Please help i don’t want him to pass

Attachments

• 023DD457-B0D9-40E6-A38A-F3223F1592E6.jpeg
    023DD457-B0D9-40E6-A38A-F3223F1592E6.jpeg
    438.9 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for your response. It’s been mild here. Not that hot. I don’t believe he ate anything toxic. He free ranges with my goats on about an acre so i guess it’s possible. I don’t give them feed..he eats mainly grass.

This website has some information on deworming geese.
http://www.ashtonwaterfowl.net/keeping_geese.htm
Most people deworm their flock in the fall, so you could just do it a little earlier.
I would recommend supplementing the ganders diet with a waterfowl grower feed or a poultry grower feed with only 15-16% protien. A waterfowl/poultry feed will help give your geese extra vitamins. You can offer the feed free choice for them. You could also supplement their diet with some veggies. I would continue to give him the Niacin and vitamins until he is better.
If he continues to have problems or isn't doing better you should probably see the vet again. You may want to check with your vet for more deworming medication options too.

Thanks! I have visited that site before. Seems i need to get the dewormers listen in that article for the vet. While I’m at it i plan on getting some fecals done. Niacin has been hard to find. I read the non-flush and time release can be bad for geese. The actual niacin is in the mail and i won’t have it till tomorrow. I ran out of it this morning. I am going to give brewers yeast and nutritional yeast today. I used poultry vitamins in their drinking bucket. I also picked up some wheat for them. I don’t have chick grower and i don’t know where to get waterfowl weed. I do have layer pellets for my chickens but i also read they can be bad for geese too! It will be a day before i get out to pick up some other things for them.

@Lunaroso you can use safe guard for goats to worm your gander .23ml per pound . for 5 days straight.

Nutritional yeast is the best way to get natural niacin into your flock sprinkle 1 Tab over each cup of feed you give. But since your seeing symptoms already and serious symptoms go to TSC and get the B Complex liquid it's in the cattle section it will say injectable but we give it orally, 1 ML daily it works super fast so if it's a niacin deficiency it will get him going quicker.

You can feed Purina Flock raiser it is formulated for all poultry including water fowl.

Hello again... i just took my young gander to the vet. Vet said he has internal bleeding from poisoning or a sharp object he ingested. He has a mass in his lower abdomen and she didn’t like the way his mucas membrane looked and his stool is black...she basically told us to keep him comfortable and he’s not gonna make it. Before i accept that. Is there anything else i can do or does anyone else have any ideas of what else could be going on. The vet gave us 7 days of penacillin and a b complex shot. What about coccidiosis? I read that causes similar symptoms...can i try some corid? Please respond if you have any input I’m definitely running out of time

They didn’t suggest surgery. She also said X-rays and blood work would not help her determine anything and would be a waste of money. I’m not ready to give up on him yet. He still has some fight in him.

Back
Top Bottom