Niacin For Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckandChick, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Brewer's Yeast

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Nutritional Yeast

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Niacin Tablets

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Fresh Peas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sunflower Seeds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DuckandChick

DuckandChick New Egg

Jan 22, 2017
    Hello,

I've been told I need niacin for ducklings to prevent leg problems. Is brewing/nutritional yeast good enough or are niacin tablets necessary? How do I know if the niacin tablets are indeed safe for ducks?

I put down a poll so you can answer which source is the best.

Thanks

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Nutritional yeast I like to use it's hard to find plain niacin in alot of places and that is what you need 150mgs of niacin a day till at least 10-12 weeks of age. or 1 Tab of Nutritional yeast per cup for feed same length of time.

Welcome to BYC @DuckandChick

3. DuckandChick

DuckandChick New Egg

Jan 22, 2017
    I will try to get some nutritional yeast and if I can't get any (which is unlikely) I will get Brewer's yeast

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

[​IMG]

5. GracieJ

GracieJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2018
    Wales, UK
    Hi my ducklings are six days old, do they need brewers yeast?

What about Adults? My two other ducks are 8/9 months and never had brewers yeast until now, is there an age limit on feeding it? Thank you.

6. TearDucks

TearDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2018
    Rochester NY
    My ducks had inverted legs when they were ducklings lucky could barely walk. I found just plain niacin 100mg capsules. Make sure you don't get time release or the kind that prevents flush (red cheeks in humans) and open the capsule one per gallon of water is what I read. Ive used it since they were ducklings when one of them has a limp. And within a couple days they are better. Daffy was chased by the neighbors dog and got caught up on my rocking chair leg. He was fine after the couple days putting that in their water. I only did it once at night, so one dose a day for a few days until I saw improvement. i found the medicine at Lori's natural food. Its a local store here but id try any natural food store or online. Hope that helps.

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by