Niacin supplement - is brewer's yeast same as "instant yeast" ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by southernhusky, Feb 24, 2017.

1. southernhusky

southernhusky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2015
    So of course my feed store which I ordered duck starter at said truck came in with no duck starter.....I know they'd be ok on chick starter for a few days but I do have catfish pellets and I was thinking about feeding half and half to come close to a 21% ratio. Going to go by the other feed store later today that I know has game(but its sometimes sold out).

My question on the niacin supplement though is I've done plenty of reading and want to give it. I know I can give leafy greens with grit but I have a ton of "fleischmann's bread machine instant yeast" because my husband loves to make pizzas from scratch and biscuits.
    Ingredients are listed as yeast, sorbitan monostearate, and ascorbic acid(which I believe I ready would contain the niacin?). Can i use that and approximately how much should I sprinkle on food for 23 ducklings?

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Good plan to supplement niacin, but bread (baking) yeast won't work (and ascorbic acid is vitamin C; niacin is vitamin B3). Instead, you need actual brewer's yeast, nutritional yeast, or a niacin supplement. You can order brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast online - I find it difficult to locate in local stores, so I go that route.

Here's a thread that may be helpful regarding dosage: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/869091/brewers-yeast-or-niacin-for-duckling.

1 person likes this.
  3. cyriuskee

cyriuskee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2016
    Savannah, GA
    Hey southernhusky. Just grab some niacin capsules from walmart, lightly mist the chick starter crumbles, break apart and sprinkle a capsule all over the food, lightly mist it again so it sticks and you're good to go! Easy & inexpensive niacin supplement solution.
    Good luck!
    :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. southernhusky

southernhusky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2015

Thanks, will do that soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by