1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Niacin Supplement

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ToriHenning1234, Mar 29, 2016.

1. ToriHenning1234

ToriHenning1234 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2016
    Yankton SD
    I recently found out that my pekin duckling (approximately 2 1/2 weeks old) has this a niacin deficiency. I have both of my ducklings on chick starter feed that states on the bag that it is safe for both chicks and ducklings. But, my little guy still seems to have something wrong with his legs. :,( I read on here that you get the non flush free stuff. well ive been looking for it and i found one that doesn't say anything about being flush fee but it does say something about time release on the front. I asked the pharmacist if this would have the Flush Free stuff in it and she said no. but im still a little wary of giving it to my ducks. Please help! first time duck owner here!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have always read that it's plain niacin that the ducklings need. Not no flush, not timed release.

Another thing that can help is a B Complex capsule. You can use the B3 level in it to determine how much water to add to it. The target is 150 mg B3 per gallon of drinking water.

[​IMG]

Brewer's Yeast, a tablespoon per cup of food, is what some folks have used.

Not baking yeast, not wine making yeast, Brewer's Yeast.

3. ToriHenning1234

Mar 29, 2016
    Yankton SD
    Thank you. I will try that. It's just the pharmacist told me that the Time Release stuff was the regular stuff.. so I got it and I put it in their water. Until I can get that B Complex is there anything else I can do for him right now?

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ducklings need to have grit before they can eat anything other than crumbles or small pellets.

Things that have niacin in them include animal products (like fish, worms, bugs). Those are also pretty high in protein, but for a few days you might consider giving a couple of teaspoons of something like cat kibble that has been moistened so it's really soft. Just check the label for niacin or B3.

Sardines, in water, no added salt, have some niacin.

5. ToriHenning1234

Mar 29, 2016
    Yankton SD
    Ok thank you :)

6. ToriHenning1234

Mar 29, 2016
    Yankton SD
    I have cat food with niacin in it but it's also hairball formulated. Is that safe?

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would not feel good about hairball formula, no....

8. ToriHenning1234

Mar 29, 2016
    Yankton SD
    [​IMG]

That's a picture of Olafs legs. It's not as bad as what I've seen but he definitely favors sitting rather than walking. He also scoots around on his legs. Normal? Or is he just chubby. Cuz he's as pretty big duckling

9. ToriHenning1234

Mar 29, 2016
    Yankton SD
    Lol Lol and down mind the mess. He got into some mud today. Really wet here :D

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could you describe scooting on his legs? I apologize, sometimes I cannot picture things well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by