niacin/thiamine supplementation

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Caprice_Acres, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    We have 10 Welsh Harlequins and probably 25+ muscovies. We raise many ducklings in spring.

Currently we're feeding a custom grain mix from our local mill. Soybean meal, corn, oats, vitamin/mineral mix, and molasses (to keep dust down). I asked for a thiamine supplement many moons ago, so they also added Biotin... I'm embarrassed to say that I never looked into it to see WHAT biotin actually WAS. Turns out, it's not thiamine! LOL.

The birds also free range and have free choice access to alfalfa hay (which they pick at), ACRES to roam in, and free choice oyster shell.

Anywho, I'm wondering what feed mix additives would supplement my ducks with thiamine/niacin, without breaking the bank - and be mixed by the TON. I'm not gonna go out there and measure/top dress on a daily basis, I want it mixed in.

2. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I add brewers yeast for niacin.
    Edited to say: apparently, its a good source of thiamine too!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  3. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    The cheapest on the shelf feed there is would be for guinee pigs or hamster feed...or gerbils. Where to buy a ton of gerbil feed,, I dunno. I think all of the pellet alfalfa feeds will have the levels of these nutrients that you;re looking for and they are inexpensive. Probably available in 100# bags that you can blend with your regular feed. The alfalfa helps balance the dietary needs.

4. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Is adding the supplement to the water rather than the food an option? I've been adding a generic 500mg intended-for-humans niacin capsule to 5 gal of water when we have ducklings, and they've always been healthy. Granted, this is prior to integrating them with the rest of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by