niacin ?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by FogHornLegHornWV, May 11, 2011.

1. FogHornLegHornWV

FogHornLegHornWV Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    I plan on getting 2 pair of buff geese. And wondering if nature bounty time released niacin 250 mg was alright or not for adding to water? (baby geese)

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I used the 500mg Niacin from Sundown Naturals for my geese. I just got 2 babies on Saturday and opened the capsules up and poured out the powder and crushed up 2 brewers yeast tablets and mixed in the waterer. they had that water all day and I changed it on sunday morning. I gave the same thing to my adults last year (they were babies at the time) I haven't used any for the adults in awhile. I do it like 1 time a week and they have not had any problems.

good Luck with your babies!!

3. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Do your geese have headaches? JUST KIDDING!

Actually, I was wondering what you give the Niacin for. I have some geese coming in probably tomorrow. Should I give them some?

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    According to Holderreads book on geese, he recommends 100 mg of Niacin per gallon of water. I found 100mg tablets in the health food section of the grocery store and have been crushing them.

OR, Niacin is to prevent leg weakness and joint swelling in waterfowl.

5. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I used it for mine to help strenghten their legs and joints. Their legs need to be strong to support their bodies as they get older. I want to do anything I can to keep them healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by