Niacin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by soccrkep1, Aug 18, 2014.

1. soccrkep1

soccrkep1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    I got 4 ducks from Metzer Farms - a white layer, 2 buffs, and a Welsh Harlequin. They are 2 weeks old. They are all starting to walk on their feet, the white layer first and worse than the others. The white layer and 1 of the buffs are so much bigger than the other 2, and they are the most pigeon-toed. I am feeding them chick starter from Scratch and Peck. It supposedly has 22.5 mg niacin in it, so I didn't really do much more than sprinkle some Brewer's Yeast on it or in their water every once in a while for the first week and a half. The last few days, I have been upping the Brewer's Yeast and also giving them a liquid B Complex from Walmart that has 20 mg niacin in it. I am not seeing improvements in their legs at all. What am I doing wrong? I mean, they can walk and seem healthy, but they are very pigeon toed.

2. soccrkep1

Jul 30, 2014
    Could this be from keeping them in a plastic tote for almost two weeks and not getting much time to walk around? Will it correct? Besides niacin supplement, what can I be doing?

3. Eluria

Eluria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    I used a converted plastic tote as a brooder box for my rescue duckling, so I don't think it's that. However, what are you putting in there at the bottom of it? I have read that if they are on very slick surfaces like newspaper when they are tiny, they can develop foot/leg problems. Maybe make sure you have some sort of soft substrate in there, like shavings or horse bedding pellets, if you haven't already. My other suggestion would have been to check the niacin levels, but it looks like you have that covered :) If the niacin levels are the problem, you should see a difference once they are getting enough, as I believe it is reversible. I fed my duckling the Manna Pro non-medicated chick starter. She did very well on that, with no foot/leg issues, so I will use it for the new babies I am getting.

Also, from what I have read, your Welshie will be a smaller duck when grown than the other breeds--they are a light weight class, while buffs (and I think the layers, too) are mediums. I am not sure about the other Buff's issue, though. I, too, have a Metzer order in--mine should be shipped on Monday. I ordered a cayuga, a blue swedish, and two of the WH, so I am expecting to see a size difference in my ducks between the WH and the other two.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I know other, more experienced duck moms and dads will post, too :)

4. soccrkep1

Jul 30, 2014
    I've been using pine shavings on the bottom for them because I read np was a bad choice, so I don't think that's it. I'm not concerned about the size of the WH, just interesting that one buff is so big, and also that the two biggest are the most pigeon toed. Wish I knew what else to do. My white layer is the best bug catcher!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do they get swim time? swim therapy is really a good way to build muscles and strengthen those legs. Keep using the brewers yeast also till at least 10-12 weeks old. and make sure they get outside in a safe secure place so they can stretch their legs and run around. mama ducks have their babies out running around on all types of ground at 2-3 days old and very seldom do we see leg problems with them. There are poultry vitamins made specifically for poultry Nuti Drench for poultry is one and excellent.

Welcome to BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by