1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nibbles the show duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jannakaye, Dec 19, 2014.

1. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    [​IMG]

I'm planning on entering my drake, Nibbles, in his very first show in April 2015. Any tips on showing ducks? What do I need to do to get him ready? This will also be my first poultry show so any insight will be appreciated. Thanks!

2. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    I'll be glad to post some tips after we finish the duckling swim we're about to do, but can you let us know what kind of show this is, e.g., informal farm show, county fair, formal poultry show, etc.? Also, do you have the program for the show? Show requirements can differ a bit depending what type of show it is and who is sponsoring it. You'll almost certainly need him tested for avian flu once you get closer to the show time. Too early to do that now unless you can do it yourself or get it done for free.

3. jannakaye

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    It's a sanctioned poultry show (?) and I don't believe they have a program yet. I'll check. Thanks!

4. jannakaye

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    I'm going to say it's formal.

5. jannakaye

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    It is a formal show. :)

6. jannakaye

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    AAAAAHHHHHH
    NPIP stuff is SO confusing! I've been on the web for HOURS and I still don't understand what's going on! Goodness gracious I'm leaving this poultry showing to the people who have better nerves! Lol me and my flock are staying at home!

7. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    I really apologize for not getting back to this sooner. I didn't get back to the computer night before last and had something unexpected come up yesterday. I'll still be glad to post some tips later today if you haven't completely decided against showing. You don't have to be NPIP certified to show ducks.

There are really only two things you need to find out before you decide whether to show your drake. The first is to find out if the show you intended to enter him in will have a class for hybrids. If they don't, then you don't need to go any further with this particular show because you won't be able to enter him. It would still be worth looking into county fairs, or even your state fair, to see if they allow entering hybrids. Fairs are more likely to allow this, though you'll probably have to wait until later in 2015 for a fair.

If you can enter him, the second thing you need to find out is what kind of testing is required. I don't think there are any states that don't require a certificate to show the duck is negative for avian flu. I've read that some states also require ducks to be tested for pullorum-typhoid, though I'm afraid I can't tell you which states those are. Most states exclude waterfowl from that test, but some states have differing requirements based on residency of the duck's owner, both in what testing has to be done and in how recently it must have been done. For example, if you're showing in-state, test results might be good for 90 days, where out-of-state birds might be required to have been tested in the past 30 days. The show program/premium book will tell you exactly what is required here.

Once you find out what test(s) you need, you want to find out where to get it/them. The most expensive option is typically an avian vet. Certified poultry technicians in your area will probably be willing to do your testing for a more reasonable price, and I've read that some states offer the testing for free (wish mine did that). The quickest way to find out about that is to contact your county extension office or the show secretary.

Do you still want some tips on how to prepare him for the show? I think you'd have a lot of fun with it if you're allowed to enter him.

8. jannakaye

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    That's fine! Everything gets ten times more hectic during the holidays! If you don't mind, go ahead and post tips on getting him ready. If he can't be entered in this show, I think I'll look for some others. One of the admins of the show said he needed to be NPIP to be entered.... I'm wondering if he's confused or something. I'll ask about the hybrid class. Thank you so much for all of your help!

9. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    is he NPIP certified, thats a big requirement for Mississippi poultry shows, Also you have to get his blood tested also , only if you cannot provide paper evidence, get a test done to prove that he is purebred.
    Pay very close attention to his feathers also be prepaired and I recommend that you stay with him throughout the whole show, for little children , whose parents didnt raise them right will take your bird out of the cage, or reach their grubby fingers into the cage without asking and grab/pull feathers off your duck.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  10. jannakaye

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    Hello everyone! Nibbles got tested today and we're waiting on results. Any other tips are appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by