Nibbley has an eye issue :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aineheartsyou, Jul 8, 2011.

1. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    It is cloudy in the rear corner of her/his eye. it almost seems like her third eyelid isnt closing all the way because its pretty much a straight line that matches up with the eyelid and its drying out there or something but if I touch near the eye it closes all the way. Is there anything I can do?
    [​IMG]

2. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    no ideas? [​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I had a duckling hatch that had that cloudiness over the whole eye- and sadly she is blind. The cloudiness faded a few days after she hatched but she has never been able to see much more than light and dark. I hope its not a sign the duck will be sight impaired - but it may not effect the whole eye if that is the case.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I befriended a very old muscovy that had a condition similar to your duckling and he, also had very poor eyesight. He seemed to be able to see out of the "sides" of the eyes and could see shadows out of certain areas. But, his was much worse. Someone suggested that it was caused by liver problems, but I'm not sure about that. He was very old and actually managed extremely well for the last couple of years of his life.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  5. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Probably a genetic disorder. Can't do much about it. Just keep him/her safe!

6. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    I dont know for sure if it affects its vision, she seems to look at me with it and acts normal. I hope it fixes itself but if not she will be loved just as much [​IMG]

7. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Bless You! [​IMG]

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:Awww! I know she'll be fine either way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by