Nice cats breeds?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Cluckcluck1215, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Short

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Medium

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Long

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Overrun With Chickens

Hey!i would like your guys opinions.what are thebest family kittens?any size,and color.the hair short to meduim.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    One of the best cats I've ever had jumped into my car at the co-op one day when I went to get feed. I'm guessing he'd be called a domestic shorthair, I don't know. He's almost a blue color (like a light Russian Blue) with cream under his chin and a little on his chest and some faint Tabby stripes. He's an amazing mouser and a bit of a weirdo. He loves cracked corn, I'm assuming since that was a main part of his diet at the co-op while he was fending for himself? And he likes to hop up on my shoulder and ride around while I'm out doing chores.
    I think the best breed of cat is one you can rescue and give a good home to. All of our cats have been rescues, and they all have seemed grateful. Well, at least as grateful as a cat can be :p

3. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    My cat is a Russian blue named melody. She is awesome. I got from our humane society and I live her to pieces!
    -Liv

4. kajira

kajira Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2016
    Texas
    I love tabbies, Manx, and siameses.

We have a Lynx Point Siamese and he's' the best cat I've ever had - all the Lynx point Siamese I've had, have been great with other animals, kids, and even the same gender cats.

[​IMG]

(this is him after getting his nails trimmed, and a bath.)

He goes limp when I bathe him and doesn't viciously attack you like some other breeeds (and ALL my male lynx point siamese i've had over the years, have had a similar attitude about nail trims and bathing.)

[​IMG]

He's great with babies of all species. And will come find me and howl at me if the baby is crying and I walk into another room. He's' a good "daddy" cat.

He's also lazy, and fat - we put him on a diet and he started getting into the trash and dog food... The other lynx point siamese I've had, aren't as into food as he is - but he was a rescue I got between 6-9 months old and he'd been nearly starved as a kitten - so his being fat now has a lot to do with that. (He's still on a diet and is still over 25lbs. Lynx point siamese average 8-16 lbs... He just is an over achiever. Even if I slimmed up way up, he's be closer to 20lbs.)

I'm a fan of big cats that kids can hug and if you trip over them you don't hurt them.

5. evanicole

evanicole Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2016
    I have 4 cats not sure there breed there our mice hunters turock Hersey tiger and stripes

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm a big fan of Ragdoll cats. I've met a few over the years and they are very nice, don't usually shed that much, and great family cats.

7. redguinea

redguinea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2015
    Land down under
    I would avoid long/medium haired breeds if you have a family, it is hard to find time to brush them and as much as you think you'll have time its one thing less to think about. Good luck

8. silkielover419

silkielover419 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2016
    I think ragamuffins are good family breeds although, they are fluffy so hair might be a problem... I don't know much about cats, I only have dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by