Nice day outside, so their butts went out!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by somissemilyy, Mar 17, 2011.

1. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Okay so I built a little pen in front of the door of the coop. I had to shoo the chicks out. They acted like they didn't want to come out of their comfort zone of being inside the coop to go outside. Then I closed the door of the coop where they couldn't go back in and they didn't like that but they got over it. Then I opened the door to go inside and out and I haven't seen them come out of the coop by theirself yet. I guess it's just they aren't ready and they don't wanna come out of their comfort zone. Oh yeah, it's almost 80 degrees outside and the sun is very warm.

2. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    I was just going to put a post about bringing them outside so if you dont mind I'll ask my question on your post. I have some chicks that are about 2-1/2 weeks old and some I just got yesterday that may not even be a week old. Can I put the older ones in something and move them outside during the day? We live in Michigan but the next few days are going to be upper 50's. Will the sun be enough warmth or should they still have the heat lamp?

3. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Quote:Still do a heat lamp for the littler ones, and then for the older ones if they still have some feathers carry them outside for a little bit, not to long if its going to be in the 50s.
    Oh & [​IMG]

4. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Thanks....the 6 bigger ones do have alot of feathers, very little baby fuzz left, they are rarely ever under the heat anymore and are on the other side of the cage so I figured they were ready to get outside.

5. Rubyegg

Rubyegg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2011
    Winter Haven, FL
    I'm in Florida (yeah I know, I'm sorry you don't live here too![​IMG]) Last Sunday it was 84 and I had to scrub the brooder so OUT they went! They had a ball![​IMG] They were kind of scared to be out from cover, so we covered the pen and they scratched and ran around like crazed teenagers all day. I was exhausted just watching them. The Ospreys and Eagles are nesting right now so we keep a dog out with them and the pen covered and only when we are in the immediate area. When one flies over and gives a cry they all freeze right where they are!

6. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:The way I got them out was to move their food outside. First put it just outside, so they can see it from the door inside the coop. They'll come out when they're hungry. Start moving the food farther away until they start running around all over the place. Then you can put the food back inside. [​IMG]

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I agree with using food, or just wait it out and give them time to adjust to their new world. Chickens don't tolerate change too well.

8. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I finished redoing the run a month ago. It took them a while to get out of their comfort zone. I lured them out with scratch. They now get a treat every mornng in the run. They still don't go outside much but hang around up on the rafters of the barn. The sun down here will tan you hide. Can't blame them.
    [​IMG]

9. wistlindixie

wistlindixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Mine got kicked out today too! I hope the weather stays warm

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by