Nice easy cool down treat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ladybug99, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    The weather here on the East coast is really hot.... the ladies are soooo hot panting all day long. I made them a nice easy treat that cooled them down as well as keeping them busy yesterday

I took those red solo party cups filled them half with ice and a bit of Gaderade and then filled the rest of the cup with fresh fruits and veggie scraps.. put it in the freezer for a few hours to freeze solid and then took them out to the girls and popped them on to some plastic container tops.

At first they wandered around sizing it up, and when they realized there was food in the middle they went crazy for it!!! They pecked at it till all the food was gone....and when the ice melted they had a nice puddle to lay in.

2. mommom4

mommom4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Good thinking!!! I'll try it. I had a watermelon and cut it in half, scooped out the melon for family and filled the inside of the huge frame with the watermelon liquid, cold veggies, etc. They went wild over it and worked on it for hours. Happy eating and keeping cool!

3. buckrut

buckrut Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    New Kent County, Va.
    All my girls are on that 13-17 week range. We too are dealing with the mid-atlantic heat. Are they too young to be given frozen watermelon treats?

4. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:Nope... I am giving my girls (14wks old) frozen watermelon and honeydew melons just about everyother day....and they love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by