Nice friend brought me babies but what are they?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by crj, Jul 24, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    My friend brought me over what she thinks a blue slate and bronze cross. I decided to look them up and noticed blue slates are a yellow poult. Since I have dial up I'm having trouble loading sites. So, I was wondering if anyone here can help determine what I may have. I would also like to know if they can be sexed. I asked this because one has a growth which could be that thing on there head. For the life of me I can't remember what it is called. Would you believe I have 3 grown turkeys? A total brain fart going on here. Anyway, the other one has nothing. I was figuring that I may have a boy and a girl.

So, please, tell me what you think. Oh, and they are REALLY cute!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    we have one that looks like that the parents where blue slate an burbon red.

3. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    All poults that have mask are black based. The look like blacks to me except the last picture looks like a rusty black. Black with a red gene.

4. greenacresinNE

greenacresinNE Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Papillion, NE
    Here is a picture of my Blue Slate poult -- notice the different color than yours. The next picture is of all of the turkey poults (and a few Lavender Orp chicks) -- the others are black spotted poults. My guess is your are either Spanish Black or a mix (the spotted aren't all that common).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Blacks are super friendly!
    By the way, the thing on the nose is a snood -- all of mine had them, hens too, but the boys' got bigger faster.

5. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:YES! a snood..... lol. Thank you. Any reason why one poult has it and the other doesn't? It will be interesting to see how they turn out. Yes, I know my friend has a bronze and a blue slate so I guess the black in them is coming out. I myself have bronze. I suppose during breeding season I will have to keep them separated. We will see. Thanks for the info.

BTW, you have very pretty birds.

6. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:I don't know where my friend got her turkeys but it's interesting that their would be red in them.

7. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    When you look at them do you see red or is it just on my screen?

8. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:I don't see any read at all. The sun makes the poult look brown but otherwise they are a yellow and black to me. The beaks have some red........ lol.

9. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    the one with stripes on it is a guinea hen.[​IMG]

10. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    black spanish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by