Nice Hot Oatmeal

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SandraMort, Oct 30, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I keep seeing people talk about giving their birds oatmeal. What do you serve it in? I tried a flat pan and it got walked in and bedding mixed in and mostly ignored after that. I'd like to start giving them some wet stuff and was thinking of using the trough feeders unless someone here has a better idea.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I seperate it into two bowls, just regular ol' cereal bowls, so they're not all trying to get at the same bowl. I have 18 chickens. I also let it cool to warmish before feeding it. My chickens are pigs and I'm afraid they'll gulp it and it'll be too hot.

3. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    We have two bowls that are the chickens bowls. They are just regular cereal bowls, but they stay outside.
    You can try putting a little bit of feed on top of the oatmeal to help them realize that it is food. Once one gets brave and tries it they will all be gulping it up.

4. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    But how do you keep bedding out? It got buried, that was the problem...

5. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Maybe you can set it up on a block or something so that they aren't walking in it. I just put mine on the ground outside.

6. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    all of our feeding is done in our run and i put it in clean butter dishes. ya know like "country crock" :)

wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by