Nice Marans Eggs, lookin' for a 'bator

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Crunchie, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    ...and I just don't know what to do with them! Here's the deal: I started collecting eggs to incubate late last week. I was all fired up to get the incubator going...well, the girls decided that they didn't want to lay all too well yet (too cold, I guess!) so it's taken me nearly a week now to get just 5 eggs (hoping to make it 6 here shortly!). I'd go ahead and wait 'till I got maybe one more and set them, except I'm on the waiting list for eggs from a breeder and he said that it's possible he'll have my eggs ready for me late February/early March. So my dilemma is--I don't want to set a half dozen of my own eggs and risk my order coming in with eggs mid-cycle in the 'bator, but they are nice eggs and I just can't bear to toss them!
    [​IMG]

My whole point to this ramble is--any of you hatch-a-holics willing to take a chance on these eggs if I give them to you? As in, free eggs--though I will ask you for the shipping costs.

You would be taking a chance--not only with shipped eggs in general, as we all know the risks there--but the oldest of these eggs will be over a week old when they get to you. I also have not checked fertility, as I haven't incubated anything yet this year (my girls just started laying again a few weeks ago), but I have seen my rooster doing his job. However, if you do hatch any, this would be a great deal (I'm certainly not gonna offer up any free hatching eggs again anytime soon [​IMG])and a good chance to get some nice birds. My breeding trio is from some of the nicest lines in the country. All of my birds are bred to the French standard and have feathered legs. I have gotten eggs of a consistently nice color from these hens--my avatar is eggs of theirs from last year--and I would say the eggs I have sitting on my counter are around a 5 on the scale. Below is a pic of the actual eggs looking for a home (the pic looks lighter to me; in "real life" they look more like the eggs in my avatar)

[​IMG]

And here's a pic of the rooster and one of the hens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only other stipulation I have, besides paying the shipping costs, is that you keep me informed and let me know how they survive the shipping and how many hatch! I'm in MD and I would think, seeing as these eggs are only getting older, that they would be best to go to someone closer to me. If you're on the west coast it might not be worth the trouble.

2. Maggie3

Maggie3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I want them!!

3. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Dang I can't believe I missed them! Poop! Well if Maggie doesn't get them I want em! I can paypal right away

4. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    LOL.... ppl will be tracking you down with posts like that.

Julie [​IMG]

5. Varisha

Varisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Oh man... my bad luck.... My bator just went empty today and needs some special eggs to hatch. [​IMG]

You got to act fast here when free eggs are up for grabs!

6. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I wanted them too!!

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I don't even have my bator yet, and I wanted them...

8. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    [​IMG] Sorry y'all, Maggie beat you to the draw! Wow. She was fast!

Julie, well I hope people will track me down when I have eggs to sell! [​IMG] I just really didn't feel comfortable asking any money for these, since I haven't incubated any myself this year and can't be sure how great fertility is. Here's hoping Maggie has a great hatch!

Oh, and I just got one more egg out of the coop--so you'll have 6, Maggie.

9. Maggie3

Maggie3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Central Michigan
    WAHOOO, I can't wait to get them in the bator!!

10. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:Good luck Maggie! Lucky you! Keep us posted on the hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by