Nice rooster, he is Heavy Breathing and somewhat cold comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CoocoChik, Sep 29, 2015.

1. CoocoChik

CoocoChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    hello everyone,

he is a barred rock about year and 1/2 old -- he is so nice ! he even stops and wants to be picked up -- I noticed him with some heavy breathing but after reading about this I can't find any thing that mention a cold comb.

Any one has information about it?

He is eating OK and drinks his water so i have him separate to keep warm, all I did so far is put some Save a Chic powder in the water ....

Thanks!!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. CoocoChik

Mar 17, 2012
    hi CT ... thanks for the reply!

i just noticed this morning that his comb has some small white specs on the tip but no discoloration

and also sound congested - as in having a cold

i have him on a humidifier since last night

but in reading about all this diseases is so confusing since the Clinical signs are so similar .. one says it can be Newcastle and other says fowl pox -- in any case antibiotics then

thanks again for reply!
    Joe

4. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    you are welcome and i agree that the symptoms could turn out to be one of many illnesses. I have a clutch about to hatch this weekend and i have bought NCD / infectious bronchitis vaccines so the chicks and adults will all have a blast of that over the weekend.

As its very difficult to make a precise diagnosis, please bear in mind that if the problem is viral then antibiotics will only fend off any secondary infections. Your roo is probably likely to make it through the problem, but if it does, it could well be a carrier for life.Im not sure how long you have had him, but IF it is such an issue then its likely your flock will have the same issue at some time or other (and possibly multiple times). I guess only time will tell - i have this issue in my flock and i have bitterly regretted not culling the whole flock and starting again as i can't give my chickens to anyone else with a flock for fear of them also becoming infected. We all live and (sometimes) learn eh?

All the best
    CT

5. CoocoChik

Mar 17, 2012
    just got back from the store with powder antibiotics to mix in water

force feed to him with a dropper

it is correct we live and learn, is the only way and specially around this area i am in - in the middle of nowhere and so many people have farms and chicken but no-one seems to know anything

So i am glad of this Backyard chicken site and people like yourself i can communicate with! all the way around the world in Kenya! yeah!

6. CoocoChik

Mar 17, 2012
    Here is a picture of his comb with those white things on ... but they come off
    he still eats and drinking the water with antibiotics

[​IMG]

7. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    If the white spots are dropping off and there are no lesions i personally wouldn't sweat that too much. As long as he is eating and drinking I'd say you have done all you can for the time being - if its anything like my experience, he'll be totally fine in a week or so.

Good luck!

CT

8. CoocoChik

Mar 17, 2012
    Hi CT,

thanks again for your response..

well it has been a few days now and he still drinking the water with antibiotic... still eating -- but he's still trembling a bit

As far as those white things -- they have not come back and his comb looks better - no discoloration

regards,
    Joe

9. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    You are welcome. Hope all is well, but the trembling is a bit of a concern. I'm new to keeping chickens (started this Jan) and have only had one chicken that i was trembling and it was not the best end result. Lets hope in your case the trembling is not as serious.

Good luck!

CT

10. CoocoChik

Mar 17, 2012
    was your chicken that you lost heavily trembling or was very mild trembling? mine has mild trembling

i found this

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

is from the university i think - talks about Newcastle disease but is shocking that no one has created a treatment for it

i am still going to search for something else to help him and be sure too post here is i find it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by