1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nice rooster... is he normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Robin'sBrood, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

Seriously, my roo is 8 months old now and he is still nice and shows no signs of aggression -- other than chasing my 2 bantams around the run from time to time. Is it safe to think that he will stay nice?

2. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    No. He is reaching his prime and I wouldn't trust him. While some roosters do appear to have a better personality He could change.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Also, if roosters that don't have competition from other roosters won't have fights for dominance, and therefore may be a little more laidback.

4. glassparman

glassparman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    One of my roos was the same way . . . I could even hold him and be his freind. As soon as he figured out that he was a roo, that was all she wrote. He won't even let me go near him now. He even came at me several times when he matured because I was picking up "one of his girls". A couple of "easy" whacks to him and he realized that I was the head roo and he should not attack me.

Needless to say, he does not attack me anymore but he will not come to me.

Michael

5. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I personally would not worry about having a "nice" roo. I think it was Rooster Red who once wrote in this forum that he'd rather have a rooster that did his job protecting the flock and making chicks than a lap rooster. Although there are plenty of exceptions, roosters have an important job to do, and many of them have no time for snuggles. He can still be a great rooster even if he ends up not being your buddy anymore. And if he still is . . . bonus!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. My roosters aren't my friends. They are here to take care of my hens and they do that job well. I have 16 hens that I can pick up and love on anytime I want. My roosters give me a wide berth and that's the way I like it.

7. Roos are not suppose to be your friend. They are there to breed, protect and guide the hens around them. They will fight for dominance and they will know thier place in the flock. My big Leghorn roo must have got in a nasty roo fight yesterday. He had blood and feathers plucked right behind his comb. This is the first I have seen this happen. My guess is that he got in the game roos territory and got whacked. My game roo is extremly territorial and chases every roo out of his part of the property. I do however continue to make all the roos know that I am the one they should worry about.

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:He doesn't let me pick him up (unless it's dusk and I'm putting him in the coop... and even then he struggles) and that's not what I'm wanting in a roo. What I want, and mean by "nice", is a roo who doesn't try to flog me when I go into the run. So far, so good - and really hoping it stays that way. [​IMG]

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm hoping it stays that way for you too! At 8 months, I would think he should be starting to show his true colors. I really don't think he will start the flogging business at this point if he hasn't already tried it.

I had the nicest RIR roo in the world until he hit 6 months old. He would let us pack him around and everything. Once he reached 6 months old however, the story changed. He started out with flogging my 4 year old and then went to the older kids every time they were in the yard. Needless to say, he doesn't have a home here any longer.

I would still keep an eye on him, just so you don't let your guard down to much but I really don't think you are going to have a problem out of him with flogging at this point. Just my opinion.

10. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a NHR that stayed very nice to me as long as he lived, let me pick him up, made those errrrr, noises when I pet him, tilting his head to 'eye' me, and was happy whenever I came by even if I handled his girls, but if a man came near, even just walking past to the other barn, LOOK OUT!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by