1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nice Roosters

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BantyHugger, Mar 16, 2009.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Is there any breed out there that has a reputation for being gentle? I have had really good luck with my first RIR roo but now i hear they are generally mean. I want to get a new roo so that my standard hens will be fertile. Does anyone have recommendations?

2. chickens112

chickens112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Cuero Tx
    I have a rir cross rooster and he is very tame and calm. Birds vary in attitude. Not all of them are going to be mean.

3. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I know that. Its just that OEG, Sarama, etc for example are notoriously aggressive. (not meaning to knock anyone or anything) Are there some known to be gentle?

4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I think Plymouth Rocks are supposed to be more gentle (there's always mean ones, though)

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Well if your RIR is nice, and he is a roo... whats the problem? He can fertilize your hens....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2009
  6. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Quote:Lol he got old and passed a couple years ago. Now we only have a d'uccle who has no authority over the bigger girls. They just walk off during his little dances. [​IMG]

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

OOHHH... well then he's fertilizing something else then! Sorry bout that!

8. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I have a Modern Game Bantam Roo named Mojo that is prob one of the sweetest out of my flock of 18 and sweeter then some of the hens even he likes to sit in my lap and when I lean on the fence waching them he jumps up on top of the coop and lays down right next to my face.

9. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    It really depends on the individual strain. I raise OEGB and MGB, both of which are noted for mean males. My boys are very sweet, cocky as heck, but sugar sweet melt in your lap. lol. Generally, Dorkings, Cochins, Wyandottes, Silkies, D'Uccle, Shamos (varies greatly from strain to strain, they don't get along with other chickens), and Polish tend to be very sweet. But there will be exceptions.

10. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Quote:Agreed, my silkie roosters are not nice they peck sometimes when I pick them up they know better to flog me though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by