Nice silkies!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nupine, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Ok, me and my mom want some really nice, like exhibition quality silkies, but we can't find any. We got some super nice ones on ebay, cost $45 for the 14 eggs, but none hatched.:mad: I have looked one Hattrick and such but none. I don't get it. Hattrick currently has an auction for 8 buf silkie eggs on eggbid and yesterday it was $109. But that is all have for sale. If I could get that much for 8 eggs, I would sell EVERY egg I got. I am not picking on them or others, but why don't they sell more? Is it something that has to do with keeping the quality in their stock? Where should I go to find some? Also, I am used to more barnyard birds, not show silkies. I was on one silkie breeders website, and the person bred his show silkies artificially, they were all in a fully inclosed heated-cooled house-like building in fancy cages with loads of bedding, kept individually. Is this what I need? Help!!

2. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    Golden Egg Farm has some eggs on eggbid right now and she is a good breeder. I have bought from her.

3. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I went and looked at her website, and those are EXACTLY what I want!! And she has non-bearded ones too, and i think I even like those more-they are much less common. So for $60 I could get 12 eggs, and hse has cochins and duckies!! YAAAH!!!!! Thanks so much!!!!!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, part of the reason breeders can sell for so much is because they spent years and lots and lots of money picking out the very best of their stock and only breeding those. With years of time invested, a good rep, and lots of shows under their belt, they can charge as much as people are willing to pay. Of every bird that can go for a few hundred, I'm sure they have a dozen that are just pet quality.

5. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, if you want to spend some $$, there are some Cuckoo Silkie eggs on eBay right now and the bidding is up to $55.

Yummy.

Susan

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    You also have to remember that most of the good quality breeders have waiting lists of people who have already put money down on birds or requested birds, so those people get birds before others. IF there are any birds left after that, and thats a big IF, then people usually advertise.

I have bunches of pet quality right now, but not 100% on the sexing yet and its getting too hot to ship safely right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by