Nice Stranger Called Today...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by speckledhen, Sep 11, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My DH sits literally on the street corner (on a neighbor's property) and sells our extra eggs on Saturday midday. Last week a lady stopped, said someone who usually sold eggs went out of business so she as glad to see us. She asked for our number, bought several dozen eggs and left. Today, she calls out of the blue. She said she had empty cartons that she used to save for the other guy and would we like to have them? She would send her hubby up with a bag full for us. I asked her would she like a free doz eggs for her cartons and she seemed thrilled. Her hubby was here in about 10 minutes with a giant bag full of cartons, mine, the trifold plastic ones and some cardboard ones. And they got a free dozen for their efforts. Just wanted to say how nice I thought that was. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    it's amazing that people remember the coolest things.

we can all take a lesson from that nice woman. it's the little things that make the biggest impression. good for you for rewarding her efforts.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    That was very nice! Don't you just love that warm fuzzy feeling you get when some body goes out of their way to do something nice?! I know I do. It reminds me that there is good out there and we should all try to make someone smile everyday!!

4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    The older generations are mostly ok but the younger (under 30) ones now days especially in the bigger towns I wouldnt give you 2 cents for

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Isn't it great to have people in the world like that [​IMG] That was really sweet of her AND you for offering her free eggs [​IMG]

6. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Really? That's not been our experience. It's the younger-than-us generation around here who is leading Community Supported Agriculture, returning to small farm lifestyles, learning to can/preserve, pushing gardening education, and making almost "lost" arts like spinning and knitting and felting popular again.

7. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    wow that was a great win win situation for you both! [​IMG]

8. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thats great! I am very much one for believing "what goes around comes around". I wish everyone could remember that when it comes to dealing with other people. I know there are those that get taken advantage of by being "nice" but, oh how I would rather have the niceness on my conscience than otherwise!

9. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Last month in our electric coop newletter some one had posted a classified for free cartons I got like 300 for free and she is saving more for me. Had my hubbie take her some eggs and she tried to pay him HE REFUSED.

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    That is really neat when people do such nice things. I mentioned to the owner of my favorite restaurant out here that I could use a couple of those big 18 egg flats and he saved me a whole weeks worth. I used them for "egg carton" fractions, the art teacher used some, the other 6th grade teachers used some. There are just plain nice people out there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by