Nice sunny day...happy chicks "outside"!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LittleDarlings, Mar 8, 2012.

1. LittleDarlings

LittleDarlings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Madison, GA
    When it was time to clean out the brooders, it was nice and warm and SUNNY!! So I took the brooders out in the yard, deposited the chicks on the grass and cleaned out their homes. It was soooo much fun and they were so cute!! They had NO clue what to do. They all just stood around and looked at each other for a several minutes, then they started moving and pecking EVERYTHING they could reach. LOL When I was done cleaning everything out, I just sat down and waited. Sure enough, they started coming over to peck at me and hop onto my shoe and look around. I loved it!! My husband and kids all came out to watch them on their first excursion. It was a beautiful family moment. [​IMG] Now the kids want to know if they can do this everyday! HAHAHA!!

2. KingOfThePeeps

KingOfThePeeps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2012
    That's adorable! I'm totally jealous!

3. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    Im jealous too. I have to keep mine in a little pen of some kind or else they run around like crazy from us. And plus my outside cats are way too interested in them. I wish mine werent so skittish of me and I could let them out in the yard.

4. aschrimp

aschrimp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I take mine out into a penned area outside basically every day now. They love it. I just keep an eye on them and bring them in when they start to look cold.

5. jecombs

jecombs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    That sounds like fun! I hope I can do the same thing next week, when we're supposed to have some temps in the 70s and it's not supposed to be so windy. Mine also freak out when I go to pick them up because my brooder only opens from the top. I'm guessing they freak because of the scatter reflex and they think I'm a hawk or something...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by