Nice to meet you! Feels like I've known you forever!

Glad to meet you, Meg. What an interesting background you have! I also have a food forest on much smaller acreage. It's been fascinating because we have so many wild birds and of course mammals as well. You will need to be especially careful about predator protection for the chickens, and it sounds as though you are well informed. But here is an article from members about it, in case some ideas are helpful.

Such a pretty flock! I hope you can get more pullets to establish a second flock for the extra rooster. Such is the broad road to chicken math hell!

If you end up having to rehome the extra boy, best options seem to be using your local Craigslist, and if you have a Facebook Poultry group, use that. You can also post on our own list for your local thread. In all cases, try to add the best glamor shot you can get of the give-away boy, with info on breed, fact he was hen raised, is gentle, any other bonus info you can give, to help him get a good home rather than a soup pot. There are so many roosters needing homes!

Back
Top Bottom